[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIci Question

cfj@iSC.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (05/01/91)

I'm considering moving to a IIci and I'm curious, can I have the normal
color monitor active at the same time as a NuBus based 19 inch monochrome ??
Or would I have to reboot to switch monitors ?? (I currently have an SE/30.)

--
Charles Johnson
Intel Corporation

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/01/91)

cfj@iSC.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) writes:

>I'm considering moving to a IIci and I'm curious, can I have the normal
>color monitor active at the same time as a NuBus based 19 inch monochrome ??
>Or would I have to reboot to switch monitors ?? (I currently have an SE/30.)

You can have as many monitors active as you have NuBus slots.
(This holds for all Mac II machines)
We routinely run several monitors on IIci's here.  (In fact, the exact setup
you're describing)
The 'Monitors' cdev will have a suitably sized icon representing each attached
monitor.  You drag the icons into the correct physical layout, and voila.
You then have a 'virtual' desktop that consists of all the real estate of all
attached monitors.
It's quite slick.  And entertaining too.  Try putting windows half on one
screen and half on the other (especially color ones) to impress users of other
brands of machines.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.084331.7217@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) writes:

> You can have as many
monitors active as you have NuBus slots.
> (This holds for all Mac II
machines)

Not exactly true in the case of the IIci, since it has built-in
video circuitry.  I think you can have up to 4 monitors connected, even
though it has only 3 slots.

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/02/91)

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:

>In article <1991May1.084331.7217@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>>
>Not exactly true in the case of the IIci, since it has built-in
>video circuitry.  I think you can have up to 4 monitors connected, even
>though it has only 3 slots.

I KNOW that. I own a IIci.  I was trying to keep the issue simple.
(How many people do you know who have more than 2?)  :)

ae219fl@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.193846.27138@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) writes:
>lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>>Not exactly true in the case of the IIci, since it has built-in
>>video circuitry.  I think you can have up to 4 monitors connected, even
>>though it has only 3 slots.
>
>I KNOW that. I own a IIci.  I was trying to keep the issue simple.
>(How many people do you know who have more than 2?)  :)

    In the June issue of MacUser, they mentioned that if you align three
 monitors in a proper way, you can bake a potato in 30 seconds..... 8-)

--
Fu-Lin Tsung
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ae219fl

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/15/91)

 (TSUNG,FU-LIN) writes:
|    In the June issue of MacUser, they mentioned that if you align three
| monitors in a proper way, you can bake a potato in 30 seconds..... 8-)

Really? WOW! Even better than York Peppermint Patties in the
microwave.

But seriously, if radiation bothers you, you might like to know that
newer Apple monitors emit less radiation than ever before.

And, Apple has already started eliminating the use of CFCs in the
production lines. This should be completed in 1992.

Your dealer will have more information, either at hand or on
AppleLink.

bill coderre
part of apple's evil plan