[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mail Order stories

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (05/15/91)

Hi ya'll
Remember when someone started a thread asking for
Horror/Hero stories about mail order companies?
Well, I kept a transcript of posted replies, and after
a while, forwarded them to MacConnection, who seemed to get
unanimous kudos. Peter Haas, of their Customer Affairs, returned
a letter, which I will write below:

...It is always fun to see a competitor being bashed, but at the
same time I have to wince a little bit, because we actually do make
mistakes ourselves.  I would like to think that we make fewer of
them, and then handle them better when we do, but every now and then the
planets seem to line up the wrong way or something, and we really make someone
unhappy.  For instance, a customer will get a defective product, we fire out a replacement, but it gets lost by Ariborne or UPS.  We try again, and they
get the package all right, but we somehow send the wrong thing.

Somehow, despite out best efforts and intentions, thing s like this can
happen, and I am always a little nervous when I read accounts like this,
because I expect someone to shime in and say "Oh yeah, well let me tell you
about my MacConnection horror story."  We do work hard to avoid this kind of thing,
and we try to be sure that the customer is happy in the end, bit it
sometimes keeps us awake at night, worrying about some loose end
we might have overlooked.

Comments, guys?  Actually, I am rather impressed that he took
time to respond, and with such a pragmatic letter, too.

Cheers!

-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/15/91)

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) writes:

>Remember...[the thread on] Horror/Hero stories about mail order companies?
>Well, I kept a transcript of posted replies, and...forwarded them to
>MacConnection, who seemed to get unanimous kudos.
  He then quotes the reply he received from Peter Haas of MacConnection:

PH>...we actually do make mistakes ourselves.  I would like to think that
PH>we make fewer of them, and then handle them better, but....
  He then tells a story illustrative of Murphy's law
PH>Somehow, despite out best efforts and intentions, things like this can
PH>happen, and I am always a little nervous when I read accounts like this...
PH>it sometimes keeps us awake at night, worrying about some loose end
PH>we might have overlooked.

>Comments, guys?  Actually, I am rather impressed that he took
>time to respond, and with such a pragmatic letter, too.

I'm not surprised at all.  You're a customer, you sent a letter, they
replied.  That's part of how you get a reputation for service in the
first place.  Peter Haas' rather paraniod pragmatism is another part:
if you're always on the lookout for ways to avoid ill-serving your
customers, it makes it much more likely that on balance you will serve
them well.  And of course around here it doesn't hurt their reputation
at all that they give free ground shipping to Boston Computer Society
members.

Just a satisfied customer.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/15/91)

Richard Sucgang:
|Comments, guys?  Actually, I am rather impressed that he took
|time to respond, and with such a pragmatic letter, too.

Until you have worked a Tech Support or Customer Service role, you
can't begin to understand just how hard it is to do.

Here are some "horror" stories I've had while working for a hard disk
company.

The Unlucky Customer

The drive failed out of the box. They sent it back, we replaced it
with a new one, delivered overnight, which also failed. They sent it
back, we lost it. They called, we scoured the place, eventually found
it, but rushed them a new drive beforehand. It failed, too. We
refunded their money, with our sincere apologies.

The Clueless Customer

The customer honestly had never heard of head crashes, yet had one,
destroying all her precious files. Shipped it in, we tried very hard
to recover, but couldn't. Much precious data lost.

The Obnoxious Customer

Who refused to believe that backups were necessary. Wanted us to ship
him the appropriate number of floppies, gratis, to do his backup.
Yelled at every rep repeatedly, got referred to the manager, who read
the owners manual to him, and offered him a refund if he didn't like
the way we do business. Suggested he try to find anyone else that
would.

The Just Plain Weird

Customer shipped drive to Europe, and plugged it in. Although the
power supply will work with 220V, the surge protectors won't, and they
caught fire. Customer was holding drive at the time, dropped it,
crashing heads.

The Impossible Case

Customer could not print with drive on. Worked fine with drive off and
attached. No inits. No special printer. No special hardware. No
nothing. Hair is torn out, as rep calls "experts," calls woman back,
spends three hours troubleshooting. Finds out that Memory Cache is set
to 512K (out of 2M). Because the disk driver takes up memory too, this
doesn't leave enough memory to do printing.

The Picky Customer

Complained that drive module was 5.25" instead of 3.5", despite
assurances from sales that company would NOT guarantee this.
(Actually, this particular 5.25" platter was faster and more reliable
than the 3.5" brand.) Returned it, upgraded to bigger drive, decided
it was too noisy. Wondered if we would send him several to choose
from. Got mad at the answer. Refunded money in full.

The Happiest Loser

Customer sends back drive after 5 years of service. Is delighted that
it can be repaired, and doesn't mind price of repair. (now THAT's
strange!)

The Second Happiest Loser

Drive has stiction. Customer is advised to "give drive a wallop" to
get it started. Does so, is delighted to beat up on machinery. Files
intact, backup made, and drive is left on, permanently. Customer
refuses to repair drive.

The Incompatible Customer

Drive causes Claris Cad to crash. No other programs, just that one.
After debugging for a while, called Claris. They knew immediately,
supplied patch to customer. Now THAT's service.

The Happy Customer

Never met one. There were hundreds of thousands, but they never
called.

bill coderre

these stories are "fictionalized" but represent actual cases. They are
not connected with Apple Computer.