[comp.sys.mac.misc] recombination of multi-part binhex files

art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu (Art Jeyes) (05/14/91)

Would anyone be kind enough to share the secret of combining multiple part
binhexed files... I have binhex version 5.0 and stuffit verssion 1.5 and have
been unable to make it work... it always seems to wind up with a Checksum error
..

Art Jeyes
Internet: art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu

******
Disclaimer: My organization does not allow opinions.
                  Personal or otherwise.

******
                       Indecision is the key to flexability.
                              Bart Zaino, circa 1976

tleaming@taurus.sim.es.com (Taylor Leaming) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.120059.26663@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>
art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu (Art Jeyes) writes:
> Would anyone be kind enough to share the secret of combining multiple
> part binhexed files... I have binhex version 5.0 and stuffit verssion 1.5
> and have been unable to make it work... it always seems to wind up with a
> Checksum error

First of all, when using BinHex and Stuffit, make sure that when you
recombine multi-part messages you get then in the right order and make
sure that all headers and footers are removed from each message.

This is tedious and error-prone.

My suggestion is to use BinHqx DA v1.2 to recombine multi-part postings.
It has a JOIN option which will prompt you for each successive part, and
then takes care of all the rest (stripping, appending and then decoding the
BinHex file).  Then use StuffIt to unarchive the resulting file.

BinHqx DA v1.2 is available on SUMEX-AIM

Taylor Leaming
tleaming@taurus.sim.es.com
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.

hecht@sas.com (Michael Hecht) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.135125.23932@javelin.sim.es.com>
tleaming@taurus.sim.es.com (Taylor Leaming) writes:
> In article <1991May14.120059.26663@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>
> art_jeyes.f2b@f2bgate.jhuapl.edu (Art Jeyes) writes:
> > Would anyone be kind enough to share the secret of combining multiple
> > part binhexed files...
>
> First of all, when using BinHex and Stuffit, make sure that when you
> recombine multi-part messages you get then in the right order and make
> sure that all headers and footers are removed from each message.
>
> This is tedious and error-prone.
[...goes on to describe BinHqx DA...]

I use Harry Chelsey's netnews reader stack to read comp.binaries.mac. I've
added a "Save Binhex" command to the stack that will combine the parts of
each posting in the proper order and save them as a single file with the
headers and footers stripped. It works great. If you want a copy, just
send me mail.

Now if only I could get my hands on DeBinHex and UnStuffIt XCMDs!

--Michael

Michael Hecht                         Internet:   hecht@sas.com
SAS Institute Inc.; Cary, NC USA      AppleLink:  SAS.HECHT