[comp.sys.mac.misc] M. Johnson et al.

v113px6j@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Thomas A Overfield) (05/15/91)

I know everybody is looking forward to system 7 (except all those poor
inits and cdevs) and everybody is irritated that Apple didn't get the
upgrades ready before the announcement.  I am also.  Especially
since I got my IIsi a week ago and now find out it'll cost me for the
current system (can't have everything I guess).  But I do think we all
owe a thanks to Mark Johnson and the rest at Apple who are trying so
hard to get FTP.APPLE.COM up so we can get the system software
sometime this month.  I'd have to wait weeks to get it from the
academic dealer here since they don't seem to have looked into
distributing it until now.  My modem may be running all night, but at
least I'll get it thanks to Mark and the rest of them.

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (05/15/91)

In article <76512@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>I know everybody is looking forward to system 7 (except all those poor
>>inits and cdevs) and everybody is irritated that Apple didn't get the
>>upgrades ready before the announcement.

	Microcenter, a large Columbus-based computer store, had a big
pile of system 7 upgrades stacked in the center of their showroom
yesterday.  I didn't buy it because they wanted $99 which seems high
since I can get the software for free by ftp'ing it (whenever
ftp.apple.com is up.)

	I'm concerned about the information that TCP and AUFS do not
work.  Are these completely dead in system 7 or do they work under
specific conditions?  Our lab uses both, so we won't be able to
upgrade until we can get working versions of these programs.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) (05/15/91)

In article <121335@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:

>	I'm concerned about the information that TCP and AUFS do not
>work.  Are these completely dead in system 7 or do they work under
>specific conditions?  Our lab uses both, so we won't be able to
>upgrade until we can get working versions of these programs.
>
>	---Todd

There is a problem with AUFS and the way System 7 dumps trash. You will
lock up your Mac when throwing away from an AUFS volume. We get around
the problem for now by using Disktop to delete AUFS files.

If you are talking about MacTCP, version 1.3 should be available at some
point.

--
Stephen Sakamoto
UCLA Computer Science Department

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.031010.11421@cs.ucla.edu> steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) writes:
>In article <121335@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:
>>
>>	I'm concerned about the information that TCP and AUFS do not
>>work.  Are these completely dead in system 7 or do they work under
>>specific conditions?  Our lab uses both, so we won't be able to
>>upgrade until we can get working versions of these programs.
>>
>>	---Todd
>>

>There is a problem with AUFS and the way System 7 dumps trash. You will
>lock up your Mac when throwing away from an AUFS volume. We get around
>the problem for now by using Disktop to delete AUFS files.

  I believe this was fixed in one of the final final candidates, actually.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth.

steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) (05/16/91)

In article <52894@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:
>In article <1991May15.031010.11421@cs.ucla.edu> steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) writes:
>>In article <121335@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:
>>>
>>>	I'm concerned about the information that TCP and AUFS do not
>>>work.  Are these completely dead in system 7 or do they work under
>>>specific conditions?  Our lab uses both, so we won't be able to
>>>upgrade until we can get working versions of these programs.
>>>
>>>	---Todd
>>>

>>There is a problem with AUFS and the way System 7 dumps trash. You will
>>lock up your Mac when throwing away from an AUFS volume. We get around
>>the problem for now by using Disktop to delete AUFS files.
>>

>  I believe this was fixed in one of the final final candidates, actually.
>
>  -- Dean Yu
>     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
>     Apple Computer, Inc.
>     My opinions and so on and so forth.

I just tried it with the System off the Golden Master Release CD and it
hung when putting something from an AUFS volume into the trash.

--

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/16/91)

R Johnson) writes:

> >>There is a problem with AUFS and the way System 7 dumps trash. You will
> >>lock up your Mac when throwing away from an AUFS volume. We get around
> >>the problem for now by using Disktop to delete AUFS files.
> >>

> >  I believe this was fixed in one of the final final candidates, actually.
> >
> >  -- Dean Yu
> >     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
> >     Apple Computer, Inc.
> >     My opinions and so on and so forth.
>
> I just tried it with the System off the Golden Master Release CD and it
> hung when putting something from an AUFS volume into the trash.
>

> --
> Stephen Sakamoto
> UCLA Computer Science Department
> steph@cs.ucla.edu

   A set of patches was distributed to fix the problem with CAP. I sent the
workaround to the CAP maintainers in Australia after I tested it with a late
beta version of 7.0,  and they recently posted a patch file to the net.....

             Mike Bell
             Developer Technical Support

dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.172315.3983@cs.ucla.edu> steph@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Stephen Sakamoto) writes:

>I just tried it with the System off the Golden Master Release CD and it
>hung when putting something from an AUFS volume into the trash.

This is fixed in the new set of patches to CAP 6.0.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt