[comp.sys.mac.misc] ok fellow mac geeks, what's up here?

brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/16/91)

I've been puzzled by something for a couple of weeks now, so I
thought I'd post for a response.
Here's the setup:

Mac #1 (home):
	SE/30, sys 6.0.5, RasterOps ColorBoard264, 8Megs memory,
	40Meg internal HD, 105Meg LaCie external HD

Mac #2 (work):
	IIsi, sys 6.0.7, built-in video w/AppleColor 13" RGB, 5Megs
	memory, 80Meg internal HD

Reading my one free issue of MacUser (June '91), I found out how to
switch the StartupScreen from the internal to the external monitor.
On the IIsi, a 256 colour StartupScreen flashes to the screen quickly
in one fell swoop; however on my SE/30, the same picture paints more
slowly (1.5 - 2 seconds) from top to bottom.
Why the difference?  The RasterOps board (especially in 8-bit mode)
has out-performed all other 8-bit displays I've seen on Mac II's,
IIcx's, IIx's, _and_ IIsi's except for the display of colour startup
images on my IIsi at work.
I thought the dedicated video card would have beaten virtually any
built-in video (which it does in normal operation), but now I'm not so
sure.
So, can anyone answer why the IIsi's StartupScreen displays so much
quicker than the same image on a colourized SE/30?  4MHz can't make
that much difference!

Brad

Brad West                 "They say the secret of success is being
brad@aerospace.aero.org   at the right place at the right time.
bwest@nunki.usc.edu       But since you never know when the right
                          TIME is going to be, I figure the trick
                          is to find the right PLACE and just hang
                          around!"  -  Calvin

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.161104.13548@aero.org> brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley A. West) writes:
>I've been puzzled by something for a couple of weeks now, so I
>thought I'd post for a response.
>Here's the setup:
>
>Mac #1 (home):
>	SE/30, sys 6.0.5, RasterOps ColorBoard264, 8Megs memory,
>	40Meg internal HD, 105Meg LaCie external HD
>
>On the IIsi, a 256 colour StartupScreen flashes to the screen quickly
>in one fell swoop; however on my SE/30, the same picture paints more
>slowly (1.5 - 2 seconds) from top to bottom.
>Why the difference?

The first thing that strikes me is 'SLOW HARD DISK'.  I have the same
setup as yourself on my home machine and just recently replaced the Sony
40 meg internal with a Quantum 105 (yep, the fire sale priced ones!).
Now _everything_ is faster; booting, starting programs, opening folders,
etc.  The speed of the drive is noticeably different from the Sony 40.

  Paul

p.s. The advertising for the Q105's being 12 ms appears to be HYPE, at
least in my experience with one running DiskManager Mac 2.25 from
OnTrack Systems....
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May17.134146.7245@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <1991May16.161104.13548@aero.org> brad@aerospace.aero.org (Bradley A. West) writes:
>>I've been puzzled by something for a couple of weeks now, so I
>>thought I'd post for a response.
>>Here's the setup:
>>
>>Mac #1 (home):
>>	SE/30, sys 6.0.5, RasterOps ColorBoard264, 8Megs memory,
>>	40Meg internal HD, 105Meg LaCie external HD
>>
>>On the IIsi, a 256 colour StartupScreen flashes to the screen quickly
>>in one fell swoop; however on my SE/30, the same picture paints more
>>slowly (1.5 - 2 seconds) from top to bottom.
>>Why the difference?
>
>The first thing that strikes me is 'SLOW HARD DISK'.  I have the same
>setup as yourself on my home machine and just recently replaced the Sony
>40 meg internal with a Quantum 105 (yep, the fire sale priced ones!).
>Now _everything_ is faster; booting, starting programs, opening folders,
>etc.  The speed of the drive is noticeably different from the Sony 40.
>
>  Paul
Sounds possible, but no, I boot from the LaCie which is a Quantum 105
and is faster than the hard disk in the IIsi.  By the way, since the
original posting, I've swapped IIsi's so I now have a Quantum 80.
Also, on the SE/30, the slowness is there also for b&w screens when
they appear on the colour monitor.
I've had a couple of e-mail responses with very interesting ideas
ranging from the 32-bit dirty ROM (probably a good guess) to my own
idea that 32-bit QD is implemented in ROM on the IIsi, but by a patch
on the SE/30; although at the point of displaying the startupscreen,
the system has not yet loaded 32BQD.
Any other ideas anyone?