[comp.sys.mac.misc] Loan to own?

if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/16/91)

A year or two ago, there was some kind of 'loan to own' promotion sponsored
by Apple here on our campus(and I assume others). Students applied for a
loan that was to be used for educational purposes, but of course the pro-
motion intended for the money to be used for Apple equipment. That's the
way I remember it anyway. Does anyone know if that program is still alive
in one form or another? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
BW

Bill Wright
if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
UNT

if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.074544.46824@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
> A year or two ago, there was some kind of 'loan to own' promotion sponsored
> by Apple here on our campus(and I assume others). Students applied for a
> loan that was to be used for educational purposes, but of course the pro-
> motion intended for the money to be used for Apple equipment. That's the
> way I remember it anyway. Does anyone know if that program is still alive
> in one form or another? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
> BW
>
> Bill Wright
> if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
> UNT

	I hate to spread rumors...but, this one sounded so good that I decided
to post. And anyway, he said I could:

From:	IN%"deane@galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu" 16-MAY-1991 14:06:35.62
To:	if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
CC:
Subj:	RE: Loan to own?

	That particular program was stopped, but I heard from insiders
last winter that a new program should be announced this June, along with
the new '040 machine. I heard things like no payments as long as you're
a full-time student, repayment period negotiable up to *12 years* and
about 10 - 12% interest rates. All in all, a pretty sweet deal, but I
haven't been able to confirm it through an outside source yet. However, the
other thing they told me, that the IIci would have an upgrade path to the
new machine, *has* been sighted in the literature (MacWeek).  Can you guess
what my purchase plans are?  :)
	Hope it helped, and feel free to post this,
	Jim Deane
--
James "Rebel Without A Clue" Deane          Institute for Astronomy
deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu                2680 Woodlawn Dr

ddl683@sarah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (05/18/91)

From if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu come these immortal words:
>	I hate to spread rumors...but, this one sounded so good that I decided
>to post. And anyway, he said I could:
>
>From:	IN%"deane@galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu" 16-MAY-1991 14:06:35.62
>To:	if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
>CC:
>Subj:	RE: Loan to own?

>	That particular program was stopped, but I heard from insiders
>last winter that a new program should be announced this June, along with
>the new '040 machine. I heard things like no payments as long as you're
>a full-time student, repayment period negotiable up to *12 years* and
>about 10 - 12% interest rates. All in all, a pretty sweet deal, but I
>haven't been able to confirm it through an outside source yet. However, the
>other thing they told me, that the IIci would have an upgrade path to the
>new machine, *has* been sighted in the literature (MacWeek).  Can you guess
>what my purchase plans are?  :)
>	Hope it helped, and feel free to post this,
>	Jim Deane
>--
>James "Rebel Without A Clue" Deane          Institute for Astronomy
>deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu                2680 Woodlawn Dr
>"My God, it's full of *s!"                  Honolulu, HI 96822
>	Grad Student/Astronomer/Diver/Mac Technician

	This is pretty much what I was told, only without the pretty
details, by an Apple rep at the local Sys7 Open House.  He said the
previous "give 'em money and see what they buy" plan wasn't working
too well -- he, err, hinted at some people who bought... "questionable"
things with their loans.  They pretty much want people to buy
computers, students especially, because the college Mac owner of today
is the corporate Mac administrator of tomorrow.

	You can BET I'm getting one this way.  IIci, the only way to fly!

						Derek L.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +