[comp.sys.mac.misc] Startup folder

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (05/17/91)

In article <19650@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:

>[.. things about Suitcase II..]
>A minor mystery:  does anyone know what the "Startup" folder in the
>System Folder is for?  The few INIT's that I decided to keep all went into
>the "Extensions" folder -- my Startup folder is empty.  I had thought that
>since INIT's were called "Startup Documents" in the System 6.x view by
>name listings, they would go into the Startup folder, but NOOOO.  I'd
>really like to know that kind of files are supposed to go there.
>
>All in all, I'm impressed with System 7.0.  Stay tuned.
>
>-Bill Leue
>leue@crd.ge.com

Every program in the Startup Folder will be launched when you start your
machine.  That includes applications, (ex) DAs, Control Panels, ....
Of course, the best way to use it is to put aliases in the Folder

Jerome

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (05/18/91)

In an article jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) rambles:

>Every program in the Startup Folder will be launched when you start your
>machine.  That includes applications, (ex) DAs, Control Panels, ....
>Of course, the best way to use it is to put aliases in the Folder

Heck, why stop there.... you can put documents inside the startup items
folder too! I love 7!

- chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: TfChris              WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.235045.28589@wpi.WPI.EDU>
           macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
> In an article jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) rambles:
>
> >Every program in the Startup Folder will be launched when you start your
> >machine.  That includes applications, (ex) DAs, Control Panels, ....
> >Of course, the best way to use it is to put aliases in the Folder
>
> Heck, why stop there.... you can put documents inside the startup items
> folder too! I love 7!

Or you can make an alias to some folder on your disk, and put the alias in the
Startup Items folder.  When you reboot, the folder is automatically opened (if
closed) and on the top of the pile.

Presumably this could be extended, and you could use an alias to a folder on
some other Mac's hard disk to open *that* folder at startup too.
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA