[comp.sys.mac.misc] Suitcase for Sys7

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/17/91)

In article <19650@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:

> First, an important WARNING!!  If you are using Suitcase II, make
> ABSOLUTELY SURE that it is disabled before you drag fonts in or out
> of any suitcase file or the System!!!  If you forget, you WILL get a
> bomb (Bus Error), and if you had been moving stuff in the System, you
> may end up with a corrupted System and have to reinstall, or worse.  This
> is the voice of sadder (but wiser) experience talking, so listen up.  The
> saftest way to disable Suitcase (and other INIT's) is to restart the system
> with the Shift key held down.  The "Welcome to Macintosh" message will
> say "No Extensions" if you have done it right.  Please don't repeat my
> experience -- I had to clean up the disk structure with First Aid and
> completely reinstall the system to recover from one of the bombs.  Note:
> this problem is NOT related to incompatibilities -- I am using Suitcase 1.29,
> which is listed as "Compatible".  The problem is also not related to
> whether the Suitcase file you are opening is in use by Suitcase or not.

Please note that the version of Suitcase you need to be running with system 7.0
is version 1.2.10.  There's an updater available from America Online and
probably from other online sources.  I don't know if it's available at Sumex.
Version 1.2.9 pretty much works, but 1.2.10 fixes several problems that came up
in the final candidate versions of system 7.0.

I'm using suitcase 1.2.10 and haven't had any problems (well, in the 16 hours
that I've been running system 7), but then I haven't been doing anything with
dragging fonts around.  I do know version 1.2.10 is the version you should be
using, but I don't know if it solves the specific trouble you reported.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (05/18/91)

In article <1_=hpfp@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
>Please note that the version of Suitcase you need to be running with system 7.0
>is version 1.2.10.  There's an updater available from America Online and
>probably from other online sources.  I don't know if it's available at Sumex.
>I'm using suitcase 1.2.10 and haven't had any problems (well, in the 16 hours
>that I've been running system 7), but then I haven't been doing anything with
>dragging fonts around.  I do know version 1.2.10 is the version you should be
>using, but I don't know if it solves the specific trouble you reported.

I've gone back to 1.2.9; trying to run Claris applications like
FileMaker Pro 1.0v2 and MacWrite II 1.1 led to an address error
(under 7.0b4) or the application unexpectedly quitting (under 6.0.7)
every time I tried to start them up while running 1.2.10.  Anyone
else run into this?  I haven't bothered to figure if it was Suitcase
alone or an interaction with something else that was causing it;
once I figured that the only thing that had changed on both hard
drives recently was updating to 1.2.10, I replaced it, and life is
good again.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991