[comp.sys.mac.misc] Thank You!

jerome@ee.fit.edu (05/15/91)

I think a round of applause should be given to the hard working visionaries
who brought system 7.0 to life.

Apple should give them a raise! (or two!)

The Next Question:

    What will system 8.0 look like?

.Chaos

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) (05/16/91)

jerome@ee.fit.edu writes:

(stuff deleted...)
>The Next Question:
>    What will system 8.0 look like?

                 Unix.
         No matter what you do, somebody always knew that you would...

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.195822.25192@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) writes:
>jerome@ee.fit.edu writes:
>
>>The Next Question:
>>    What will system 8.0 look like?
>
>                 Unix.

No, but seriously... :)

How many mac-addicts out there *really* expect to see a system 8? Not just
soon, but ever?  If you think the next system release will ever make it
out, what will it be like?  Will we finally have protected memory, or
preemptive multitasking?  It seems to me that such niceties (necessities!)
will not make it into the MacOS without a total rewrite, and who knows how
long that could take...any opinions?

Perhaps A/UX is the way to go after all...

BTW, I am not knocking sys 7.0! It is a huge step forward, and the Apple
engineers working on this thing deserve a round of kudos from us all. I just
wonder how much farther the OS can go in this direction without getting
rid of all the kludge code and starting over from scratch!
--
Don DeVoe
ddev@wam.umd.edu

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.233457.23194@wam.umd.edu>, ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:

>How many mac-addicts out there *really* expect to see a system 8? Not just
>soon, but ever? [...]
>I wonder how much farther the OS can go in this direction without getting
>rid of all the kludge code and starting over from scratch!

I'd almost bet that 8.0 -will- be a complete rewrite, but with a lot of the
features of 7.0.  Perhaps it will completely object-oriented.  But I
beleive that there will be a System 8.0, although it may not be called
that..

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.233457.23194@wam.umd.edu> ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
>In article <1991May15.195822.25192@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) writes:
>>jerome@ee.fit.edu writes:
>>
>>>The Next Question:
>>>    What will system 8.0 look like?
>>
>>                 Unix.
>
>No, but seriously... :)
>
>How many mac-addicts out there *really* expect to see a system 8? Not just
>soon, but ever?  If you think the next system release will ever make it
>out, what will it be like?  Will we finally have protected memory, or
>preemptive multitasking?  It seems to me that such niceties (necessities!)
>will not make it into the MacOS without a total rewrite, and who knows how
>long that could take...any opinions?

About 2 years. Apple just did it for System 7...
The folks at Apple did one hell of a good job!

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/18/91)

Don Devoe writes in a message to All

>>The Next Question:
>>    What will system 8.0 look like?
>
>                 Unix.
DD>  No, but seriously... :)
DD> How many mac-addicts out there *really* expect to see a system
DD> 8? Not just soon, but ever? If you think the next system release
DD> will ever make it out, what will it be like? Will we finally
DD> have protected memory, or preemptive multitasking? It seems to
DD> me that such niceties (necessities!) will not make it into the
DD> MacOS without a total rewrite, and who knows how long that could
DD> take...any opinions?
DD> Perhaps A/UX is the way to go after all...

If you want preemptive multitasking then A/UX probably is the way to go as I don't think you will see it in the primary Mac OS.  My bet is that System 8's major new feature will be scripting.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)