[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why buy a Classic over a Plus?

cyf@druco.ATT.COM (Charlie Farwell) (04/30/91)

	Let me start by saying that if I was starting from scratch, I
	would of course buy a Classic.

	However, I'm looking at replacing my Plus logic board for ~$350
	vs. buying a Classic for ~$850, and I'm trying to find a reason
	why I should spend the extra $500.

	I understand that I'd get a 1.2M floppy, room for an internal
	HD, and nice mini-8 connectors, but that doesn't seem like
	enough to justify the cost. Both machines even have the same 68000,
	running at the same speed, I believe.

	I would like to know exactly what the differences are between
	the 128K ROMS and the 256K ROMS. Will sticking with 128K give me
	a performace penalty, or the possibility of not being able to
	run some future applications? (The two machines are supposed to
	be totally backward and forward compatable, right ;-)?

	Thanks for any and all advice.

Charlie Farwell
cyf@druco.att.com
(303)538-1449

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff) (04/30/91)

cyf@druco.ATT.COM (Charlie Farwell) writes:

>	However, I'm looking at replacing my Plus logic board for ~$350
>	vs. buying a Classic for ~$850, and I'm trying to find a reason
>	why I should spend the extra $500.

The Classic is slightly faster than the Plus, and it has a much faster
SCSI port.  You'll notice the SCSI improvement a lot if you add an
accelerator to your Classic - I have an accelerator on my Plus and the
throughput to/from my hard drive is still slow due to the SCSI
bottleneck.

--
jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
F7 d+ m++ b- r-- s++ e- h c

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter &) (04/30/91)

   From: cyf@druco.ATT.COM (Charlie Farwell)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.mac.hardware
   Date: 29 Apr 91 18:39:56 GMT
   Sender: news@drutx.ATT.COM

[...]

As someone else noted, you get a slightly faster machine and a significantly
faster SCSI port.  You also get the Apple Desktop Bus, which gives you a wider
choice of peripherals, and (probably) a significantly longer period of
compatibility with the rest of the Mac line.  And those are 1.44M floppies,
not 1.2M.

On the other hand, if you spend ~$350 now and save the rest, you'll probably
be able to afford an even spiffier machine in a year or two...

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

rmitchel@bbn.com (Rob Mitchell) (05/04/91)

cyf@druco.ATT.COM (Charlie Farwell) writes:

>    I would like to know exactly what the differences are between
>    the 128K ROMS and the 256K ROMS. Will sticking with 128K give me
>    a performace penalty, or the possibility of not being able to
>    run some future applications? (The two machines are supposed to
>    be totally backward and forward compatable, right ;-)?

    The Classic "spec" sheet in front of me says that it has the
    newer 512K ROMs (may mean that they're 32-bit clean) and the
    Classic is "25 percent faster than a Mac Plus."  It has an
    ADB bus for the keyboard and newer/lighter mouse.  Other
    than that, they're pretty much the same computer, IMHO.

Rob Mitchell                            Advanced Simulation Division
Unix & Macintosh Engineer               BBN Systems & Technologies
Internet: rmitchel@vax.bbn.com          33 Moulton Street   MS: 8/C
Primary Dwelling:   617-873-4041        Cambridge, MA  02138
Secondary Dwelling: 617-873-4071
FAX:                617-873-4315

These opinions are mine and mine only.  They do not represent BBNs' opinions.

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/15/91)

|       the 128K ROMS and the 256K ROMS. Will sticking with 128K give me
|       a performace penalty, or the possibility of not being able to
|       run some future applications? (The two machines are supposed to
|       be totally backward and forward compatable, right ;-)?

The major thing is that the system file patches lots of ROM (and adds
more calls that aren't in ROM) when it has to. On a Plus, that's
comparitively more of your RAM being eaten up by the System than on a
Classic. If you only had 1 meg, some apps wouldn't be able to run on a
Plus.

Don't think System 7 in two megs is any fun. Although it won't eat up
1.5 megs on a classic or a plus (which the color stuff causes it to
do), you'll like 4 megs much better. Memory's cheap now, will go up as
everyone else starts upgrading, and you'll be able to use Multifinder
much better.

Although I cannot comment officially for Apple, I think that the
longer you wait before trashing your plus, the more power per dollar
you will get. This has been true for Apple since Day One.

So, if you're a stingepot, fix the plus and get it upgraded to 4 M
while they're in there. Put on some nice extras you might want,
because the value of the machine to you is much higher than the resale
value. Then, when the inevitable new machines come out, buy one of
those and you'll have two for a while.

If, however, you're a neat freak who doesn't want to keep limping
along with older technology, buy the Classic and hurl the Plus out the
window. You'll be up-to-date and won't have to worry about
obsolescence for years and years.

bill coderre
sorta like the Klik and Klak of Mac

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (05/15/91)

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

>Don't think System 7 in two megs is any fun. Although it won't eat up
>1.5 megs on a classic or a plus (which the color stuff causes it to
>do), you'll like 4 megs much better. Memory's cheap now, will go up as
>everyone else starts upgrading, and you'll be able to use Multifinder
>much better.

We ran System 7 on a Classic 2/40 the other weekend at Apple Australia's
Student Rep training. I can only report minor difficulties when running
HyperCard :) The training schedule was also hampered while all other
machines had to wait for the Classic, Personal AppleShare was certainly
fun!! Take it from me, there's plenty more coming from Apple, and the
news isn't at all bad. If you want to buy a Plus (whoever that is for whatever
reason), have you considered a 386sx with Win3.0........

>bill coderre
>sorta like the Klik and Klak of Mac
--
<<<<  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( >>>>
< Norton Chia   |  Mail me on norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU  APPLELINK:AUST0240   >

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/16/91)

In article <52863@apple.Apple.COM>, bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) wrote:
>along with older technology, buy the Classic and hurl the Plus out the
>window. You'll be up-to-date and won't have to worry about obsolescence

Sorry, couldn't let this go, but a Classic and up-to-date is kinda oxymoronic,
don't you think?

--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (05/18/91)

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) writes:

> Sorry, couldn't let this go, but a Classic and up-to-date is kinda oxymoronic
> don't you think?

No. It depends greatly on what you are judging it by, or against.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta