[comp.sys.mac.misc] 7.0 on a IIci is faaast...

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/16/91)

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:

NC> My IIci doesn't look to bad
NC> either, altho' I do detect a slight degradation in response. Maybe it's my
NC> scepticism that something so good can't also have good performance :)

     One big speed difference is that Sys7 is much FASTER finding files on my
Rodime Cobra 210.  Note that I was running Desktop Manager before; when I
converted to Sys7, my IIci slooowly rebuilt my desktop, and now everything is
lightning fast (or as fast as it can be with 7,283 items).

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/16/91)

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:

>norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:

>NC> My IIci doesn't look to bad
>NC> either, altho' I do detect a slight degradation in response. Maybe it's my
>NC> scepticism that something so good can't also have good performance :)

>     One big speed difference is that Sys7 is much FASTER finding files on my
>Rodime Cobra 210.  Note that I was running Desktop Manager before; when I
>converted to Sys7, my IIci slooowly rebuilt my desktop, and now everything is
>lightning fast (or as fast as it can be with 7,283 items).

  System 7 is also much faster than 6.0.7 with any SANE numeric work
on my IIci.  Try running Speedometer 2.5's Whetstones test without the
math CPU.  System 7 is close to 50% faster than 6.0.7.
  I imagine this is because Apple started using the coprocessor chip a little
more efficiently in their SANE implementation.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Lay me place and bake me pie, I'm starving for me gravy... Leave my shoes
and door unlocked, I might just slip away - hey - just for the day."

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (05/18/91)

Anybody running quark/photoshop type programs with 7 yet?  I've a

IIci also, and am wondering about converting.