[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 1.0 / 7.0 deja vu

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (05/11/91)

Writing about System 1.0, Pai Chou (chou@june.cs.washington.edu) writes:

	One thing that I miss is that the old Finder shows you
	the size of the folders on top of the window; but since they
	went HFS, you have to do a Get Info command.

Does anyone else seem to find this extensively humorous that eons of computer
time later, with the advent of HFS and other similarly great improvements,
that it took until System 7.0 to return this feature? Also this one:

	The System was about 200K, and Finder was about 50K, so
	you could actually fit system, finder, MacWrite, and MacPaint
	on the same 400K floppy!

Again, the problem of making a bootable disk within the limits of disk space
seems to be here again in full force.

La plus que change... [The more that changes...] :-)
(I'm waiting for System 7.0, too) [like who's not?]

--
***                           The University of Chicago                     ***
*** Claimer: Beavers Are Gods.           Disclaimer: Believe What You Want. ***

In article <1991May11.150446.3954@midway.uchicago.edu> nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:
>Writing about System 1.0, Pai Chou (chou@june.cs.washington.edu) writes:
>
>	One thing that I miss is that the old Finder shows you
>	the size of the folders on top of the window; but since they
>	went HFS, you have to do a Get Info command.
>
>Does anyone else seem to find this extensively humorous that eons of computer
>time later, with the advent of HFS and other similarly great improvements,
>that it took until System 7.0 to return this feature? Also this one:
[...]
You think THAT is funny, System 7.0 (re)introduces the idea of stationary pads
--documents which when double clicked on, make a new untitled copy of
themselves and open that.  (Hard to explain, but they are very useful).  That
one comes from none other than.... Lisa Office System 7/7

>La plus que change... [The more that changes...] :-)
I remember it as "La plus ca change, la plus ca meme chose".  But my French, to
put it mildly, stinks.    ^cedilla here      ^cedilla here

>(I'm waiting for System 7.0, too) [like who's not?]
Those of us who have it already :-)

(hey, I've only got 'til monday to lord it over the 3 people on the net who
don't have it :-) )

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (05/15/91)

In <1991May11.222438.14144@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>>La plus que change... [The more that changes...] :-)
>I remember it as "La plus ca change, la plus ca meme chose".  But my French, to
>put it mildly, stinks.    ^cedilla here      ^cedilla here

"stinks" is too strong.  however, the two "la"s are
superfluous.

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose

(circumflex accent over the first "e" of "meme", unless the
Academie Francaise has abolished it already)

Jeremy Roussak

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (05/18/91)

Let's close this stream with the correct spelling (French national speaking :-).

In article <3690@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:
>In <1991May11.222438.14144@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>
>>>La plus que change... [The more that changes...] :-)
>>I remember it as "La plus ca change, la plus ca meme chose".  But my French, to
>>put it mildly, stinks.    ^cedilla here      ^cedilla here
>
>"stinks" is too strong.  however, the two "la"s are
>superfluous.
>
>Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose
                            ^^
							la ('chose' belongs to the feminine group :-).)

>(circumflex accent over the first "e" of "meme", unless the
>Academie Francaise has abolished it already)
>
>Jeremy Roussak

Jerome

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (05/20/91)

In article <3690@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:
>In <1991May11.222438.14144@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>>>La plus que change... [The more that changes...] :-)
>>I remember it as "La plus ca change, la plus ca meme chose".  But my French, to
>>put it mildly, stinks.    ^cedilla here      ^cedilla here

>"stinks" is too strong.  however, the two "la"s are
>superfluous.

>Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose

Chose is not masculine. You need "la" instead of "le".

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca