[comp.sys.mac.misc] "driver training" keyboards?

swsh@ellis.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) (05/17/91)

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever tried attaching two
keyboards to the same Mac -- sort of like the extra steering wheel and
brake pedal in Driver's Ed cars?  If you had a Mac with two ADB ports,
you could put a keyboard on each one, and daisy-chain the mouse so it
sits in the middle.  Would this be likely to do something nasty like
frying the ADB port?

I am asking because we are thinking of setting up a Mac classroom
somewhat on the cheap, and someone suggested this as a way to allow
two students to better share a Mac than one hogging the keyboard and
the other just watching.
--
Janet Swisher			Internet: swsh@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago		Phone: (312) 702-7608

In article <1991May17.160751.29252@midway.uchicago.edu> swsh@ellis.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever tried attaching two
>keyboards to the same Mac -- sort of like the extra steering wheel and
>brake pedal in Driver's Ed cars?  If you had a Mac with two ADB ports,
>you could put a keyboard on each one, and daisy-chain the mouse so it
>sits in the middle.  Would this be likely to do something nasty like
>frying the ADB port?

I've never tried two mice, but two keyboards works fine.

mst@tsc.enet.dec.com (Mike Temkin) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.212220.200@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T.
Russotto) writes:
>In article <1991May17.160751.29252@midway.uchicago.edu>
swsh@ellis.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) writes:
>>Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever tried attaching two
>>keyboards to the same Mac -- sort of like the extra steering wheel and
>>brake pedal in Driver's Ed cars?  If you had a Mac with two ADB ports,
>>you could put a keyboard on each one, and daisy-chain the mouse so it
>>sits in the middle.  Would this be likely to do something nasty like
>>frying the ADB port?
>
>I've never tried two mice, but two keyboards works fine.
>--
>Matthew T. Russotto     russotto@eng.umd.edu    russotto@wam.umd.edu
>     .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.

As I recall from my ASC (Apple Support Coorinator) training, you can chain up
to 32 devices per ADB port, 64 total.  Each device will be assigned an ADB
device number when the mac boots.

At one point schools were going to use this to connect a mac to a large screen,
chain keyboards off the ADB ports, and have students use special software
written
that would know which keyboard responded to what question.  I don't think it
ever
happened though...

I have some software called Serius Programmer that uses objects and flow
control
to write software.  An improvement that I asked them to make is to the keyboard
object.  I wanted it to return not only the character, but the ADB device
number
as well.  Let's see if they do it...

Mike.

My opinions are my own, no one else wants them...

francis@trillian.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/20/91)

In article <3176@shodha.enet.dec.com> mst@tsc.enet.dec.com (Mike Temkin) writes:

>As I recall from my ASC (Apple Support Coorinator) training, you can chain up
>to 32 devices per ADB port, 64 total.  Each device will be assigned an ADB
>device number when the mac boots.

Now they're telling us not to connect more than 3 ADB devices (maybe
that's per port).  :-(

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|