[comp.sys.mac.misc] HD troubles and 7.0

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/19/91)

I'm posting this for Mike Zimmerman, whose site doesn't let him post
netnews articles (although he can read them, and of course he can send
email).  Please reply to his account.

------------------------ cut here ---------
First of all thank you to the kind soul who posted for me... our site does
not let us....

I have a IIsi and system 7.0.  I have an Apple 40 meg drive, *grin* my 2nd in
4 months, and had expnaded into the unused partition with HD Setup. So
under 6.0.7 I had ~40.3 megs of space on my drive.

After installing 7.0, i noticed the sum of used and available space
(fom the Finder windows) was only 39.3 meg.  I booted with 6.0.7,
40.3, rebooted with 7.0, 39.3.

Whats going on?  HD Setup shows the larger partition no matter which system
I boot from.... is Apple being pissy and not letting us continue to use that
extra space, or do I have to get a 3rd party config file?

*I do not recommend any try to expand their drive this way...*grin* disclaimer

Please e-mail replies to zimmy@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu

I will try to summarize and send the summary to one of the
contributors to post.

Thanks in adavnce

Mike Zimmerman (zimmy@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu)

-----
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/20/91)

In article <9681@idunno.Princeton.EDU> zimmy@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu (Mike Zimmerman) writes:
>I'm posting this for Mike Zimmerman, whose site doesn't let him post
>netnews articles (although he can read them, and of course he can send
>email).  Please reply to his account.
>
>------------------------ cut here ---------
[deleted stuff]
>under 6.0.7 I had ~40.3 megs of space on my drive.
>
>After installing 7.0, i noticed the sum of used and available space
>(fom the Finder windows) was only 39.3 meg.  I booted with 6.0.7,
>40.3, rebooted with 7.0, 39.3.

I suspect this one may throw lots of people, thus the public reply.

The old finder displayed in K, so you got the 40.3 figure in the form of
40,300 K total space, right?  The new finder displays in Megs -- real
Megs, not convenience Megs.  40300/1024=39.35546875.  Take it from there.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu