[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple HD SC Setup won't recognize my 3rd-party hard drive?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/19/91)

I have a Tulin 50Mb hard drive with an Adaptec ACB4000A controller
board, and one thing I noticed but was never able to figure out was
why the Apple HD SC Setup program never could see it -- whenever I ran
the program, it told me something like `no suitable devices found
connected to the SCSI port.'  I figured this was because the hard
drive's driver was incompatible.

Well, I heard the Apple HD SC Setup program that comes with System 7.0
is compatible with third-party drives, now, and a thorough check of
the System 7.0 Reference book found no mention that it was only for
Apple drives or anything.  So I tried running this latest version of
the program right after I updated my hard drive's driver with
Silverlining (which I understood was compatible with the HD Setup
program).

It still couldn't find my drive.  What am I not seeing here?  Is it
just that my drive isn't capable of doing whatever it is that the HD
Setup program modifies the driver to do, or have I just not found the
right driver yet (and if not, then where should I look)?

Apologies if I'm being vague -- I've never really understood what the
HD Setup program is supposed to do.  Can anyone Enlighten me on that
point?

advThanks,

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (05/20/91)

In article <9668@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian
Kendig) writes:
>I have a Tulin 50Mb hard drive with an Adaptec ACB4000A controller
>board, and one thing I noticed but was never able to figure out was
>why the Apple HD SC Setup program never could see it -- whenever I ran
>the program, it told me something like `no suitable devices found
>connected to the SCSI port.'  I figured this was because the hard
>drive's driver was incompatible.

Apple's program has a hard coded list of drives it will format built into the
program.  I have gone into it with ResEdit on several occasions to add drive
names.  Of course, just adding the drive name doesn't necessarily ensure it is
going to work...

Bruce Carter                             Internet:     bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                   Bitnet/CREN:  DUSCARTE@IDBSU