[comp.sys.mac.misc] Slander of innocent MS-DOS

gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) (05/21/91)

In <1991May19.191154.11505@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) writes:

>In <May.18.19.08.42.1991.4446@parker.rutgers.edu> jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) writes:

>>I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
>>dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
>>they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
>>server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that
>>has proven to be even more frustrating.  Is there an easier way (aside
>>from scrapping the mac and geting something built around a 386?)
>>Thanks in advance
>>-Jeff
>>(Amateur Call: KA2QOU)
>
>So what you're saying is that because a dealer won't give you a FREE copy of
>System 7 (which he is NOT obliged to do), you'll go out and buy an MS-DOS
>system instead?  What the hell is wrong with people?  Is Microsoft GIVING AWAY
>Windows 3.0???  NO!  Then why should Apple?  But they are... You just have to
>be patient and wait until you can get a copy by whatever means you like.  Try
>downloading it from America Online or CompuServe or Genie.  But I gather you're
>just too DAMN cheap to bother paying for those services either!  Everything in
>this world costs somebody money.  It's not right for a dealer to let any Joe
>Blow walk off the street and come in and copy 8-12 disks for nothing.  Would
>you let anyone walk off the street into your home and demand that you give them
>System 7 for nothing (legal issues aside)?

>All I can say is go ahead and buy your MS-DOS piece of crap, because we don't
>need people like you in the Macintosh community.

>Brendan Duddridge
>umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

OK Brendan......

Let's not be attacking IBM Now. I have had the oppertunity to use both Mac and
IBM & Compatible Computers for some time now.  I  feel that you unjustly
slander a type of computer maybe because of ignorance, maybe not.
I have seen heated debates over the  issue MANY time and it does not
get any better than a net.fistfight.

When it gets down to the root of it all the debate it seems to boil down
to which is easier to use.  This is fine yet no one ever takes into
consideration the other factors such as speed and power.  A GUI isn't
everything and if you insist on using Windows as an example let me remind
you that this is a totally SOFTWARE implementation and had it been hardware
based it would be running circles around a MAC.  Then again try using an
HP Vectra 386 with 4 megs and I think you will find that Windows performs
quite admirably.

To clear up my views I find that windows is a poor substitute for a GUI
and that BOTH computers have their merits.  Try using both to see for
yourself if you are up to the Challenge ;-)

Mario L. Gonzales

| Mario L. Gonzales    | gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu  <HOME>  | Oregon State   |
| Wilson Hall #311     | gonzalm@mist.cs.orst.edu           | Univeristy     |
| 97331-1413           | Life is easier than you think; all | University     |
|                      | that is necessary is to accept the | Computing      |
|----------------------+ impossible, do without the         | Services (UCS) |
| IBM PC & MAC         | indispensable, and bear the        |----------------|
| Literate :-}         | intolerable. -Kathleen Norris      | Kerr Comp. Lab |