[comp.sys.mac.misc] Excel 3.0 problem

dth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (05/21/91)

I have encountered a rather unusual problem with Excel 3.0; I'm
wondering if anyone else has discovered this.

The problem:  Normally, if you are selecting a range of cells by the
"click-and-drag" method, you can go beyond the range of the visible
screen just by dragging beyond the screen; the screen will then scroll
up, down, left, or right as appropriate.  Using this, you can select
very large blocks of cells.

When I do this under 2.2a, it works fine.  Under 3.0, dragging to the
right, up, or down works well, but dragging left has no effect; you come
to the edge of the screen, and the display does not scroll.  So, for
example, if column "H" is the left-most column on your screen, and you
try to drag left, you will no be able to select any cells in column "G"
or below; the screen does not scroll left.

I hope I described the problem well enough.

The system:  Mac IIci, 8MB Ram, 80MB HD, System 7.0, Disinfectant 2.4
init, no other inits.

Dave
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/21/91)

dth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:

>When I do this under 2.2a, it works fine.  Under 3.0, dragging to the
>right, up, or down works well, but dragging left has no effect; you come
>to the edge of the screen, and the display does not scroll.  So, for

  Dragging left auto-scrolls fine for me under 3.0...
  Config:  Mac IIci 5MB (13MB Virtual, 24-bit), 100MB HD, System 7.0,
	   ten or so INITs.

  Actually, I've got a different problem with 3.0 under 7.0.  Selecting
a block of cells, then going to the Style input box on the Toolbar, and
attempting to type in a new style consistently hangs the machine, eventually
requiring a complete reboot.
  The cursor changes to an I-beam, the text in the style box is selected, but
I can't type anything.  After about 5 seconds, the I-beam changes back to the
arrow, but there's nothing more I can do.
  The exact same procedure works when I boot under 6.0.7, but dies the above
death under 7.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (05/21/91)

In article <28626@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:
>The problem:  Normally, if you are selecting a range of cells by the
>"click-and-drag" method, you can go beyond the range of the visible
>
>When I do this under 2.2a, it works fine.  Under 3.0, dragging to the
>right, up, or down works well, but dragging left has no effect; you come
>to the edge of the screen, and the display does not scroll.  So, for

Hmmm.  Just tried it, and it worked as usual - drag left, scrolls fine.
System 7.0 IIcx, 8/80, all sorts of inits ;-).

I tried on both a blank "new" sheet, and a sheet in progress.  Works
in both of them ... wish I could tell you something more useful!

-rob.

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| R. Griffiths         | "Those who make peaceful resolution impossible     |

In article <1991May21.011154.6740@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>  Config:  Mac IIci 5MB (13MB Virtual, 24-bit), 100MB HD, System 7.0,
>	   ten or so INITs.
>
>  Actually, I've got a different problem with 3.0 under 7.0.  Selecting
>a block of cells, then going to the Style input box on the Toolbar, and
>attempting to type in a new style consistently hangs the machine, eventually
>requiring a complete reboot.

Crashes a IIcx, too!  I have to call MSoft tomorrow anyway, maybe I'll
bring this up (I'll check the work machine, too ... but I expect the
same bug...)

-rob.

--