[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 A few impressions

ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (05/19/91)

In article <2333@cs.rit.edu> jxj2606@cs.rit.edu (Jehangir X Jungalwala) writes:
a number of good observations about System 7.  But I'd like to cancel
his vote for:

>  Oh yea one more
>annonying thing about System 7.0, could Apple for once give a release's
>documentation in hard cover, I hate those floppy spirle bound manuals.

I *hate* software documentation that doesn't come in spiral bound form
that lays flat without your having to hold it.  Three cheers for
Synergy Software and others who publish manuals with spiral binding
*and* a spine so you can tell what it is on the bookshelf.  Polite
applause for Apple Publishing which means well and uses a reasonable
kludge for providing both of these.

	== Daniel ==

'At your age,' Allie wept, 'you ought to be ashamed.' -- 'Well, I'm
not,' the future Mrs. Boniek rejoined.  'A professor, and in Stanford,
California, so he brings the sunshine also.  I intend to spend many
hours working on my tan.'
                               from "The Satanic Verses", by Salman Rushdie

hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil (05/21/91)

Jay writes:

>System 7.0 no longer implements MacroMaker, suggests QuickKeys.

There is also a program called AutoMac that comes with Work 4.0 (or was it
WordPerfect) I'm pretty sure the former.

> Oh yea one more
> annonying thing about System 7.0, could Apple for once give a release's
> documentation in hard cover, I hate those floppy spirle bound manuals.

I for one like the spiral books.  You can lay them flat on your desk and open
and the pages don't turn on you while working on a involved procedure.
Hardback books you have to bend backwards first so they lay open, this usually
breaks the spine.>

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/22/91)

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:

>In article <2333@cs.rit.edu> jxj2606@cs.rit.edu (Jehangir X Jungalwala) writes:
>>	* No more Macros, when I called Apple about how to set up Fkeys and
>>		things like that, she told me that Apple stopped releasing
>>		macromaker and that it is not compatible with System 7.0.
>>		So if you are a macro man time to buy Quick Keys.  Which
>>		really, I feel, is not the right thing to do.  If my
>>		extended keyboard hey the F1-F12 keys, Apple should support
>>		their functionability, and not cop-out and depend on
>>		third-party vendors.

>I agree that Apple should have kept supplying a Macro program of some sort,
>however, MacroMaker caused me so many crashes that its minor functionality
>was of NO overall use (actually, one could say it was of negative use).

I personally hope that when Apple releases a scripting language that
will support all these things.  Of course, if you have an application
that uses those keys (Terminal Emulators, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel,
etc...) then those keys don't go unused.

Personally I use QuicKeys and I would be considerably more upset with
its loss.  I believe that MacroMaker, HD Backup, and some of the other
Apple supplied utilities fit into that nebulous catagory of concepts
that Apple wanted people to get used to but that they didn't want to
drive any vendors out of the market.

I think that Apple's role isn't to provide for everything, but to provide
the enabling technology so that the other vendors can quickly and easily
provide us with better and better applications.

As always, Just my thoughts...

-- Pat ------------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov