[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7 installer won't work

farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) (05/20/91)

Hi all,

System 7 does not install properly on my SE/30.  This is the scenario.  I
uploaded the install disks and mounted the images with MountImage.  I then
ran the installer, and it produced no errors.  So I rebooted.

What happened next was I got the happy mac, and then the welcome to macintosh
dialogue box appears.  Then the drive stops and the dialogue box begins to
shimmer (as though being redrawn at a high rate).

The stranger part is that this same installer was used on a Mac Plus with no
trouble at all (with MountImage).

Does anyone know what is up??  I also tried the customize option with no luck
(same problem).  Also tried this installer on another SE/30 and same problem.
I had no inits in the system folder.....(hide them in another folder)

I also have 5Meg ram and I am running 6.0.7 (still).

I will try to re-upload the files, but it seems strange that I could unstuff,
binhex and run the installer without error if the problem was in the
upload....(I used the 800K disks).

Anyone with ideas, or similar problems????

Thanks,

Matt Farmer
internet:      farmer@ecs.umass.edu
               farmer@saturn.ucc.umass.edu

farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) (05/20/91)

Hi,

I figured out my problem.  Apparently after you install, and reboot if there
is a second hard drive that the system can boot of (even if it is of higher
SCSI id) it boots of the other drive.  The other drive had a mac plus
installation that caused the crash.

So I just turned that drive off, and it booted off mine and worked!!  Then, I
could boot with boot drives on and it booted off of mine.  Strange, but I
don't care!!

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/22/91)

In article <13743.2836cecd@ecs.umass.edu> farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>System 7 does not install properly on my SE/30.  This is the scenario.  I
>uploaded the install disks and mounted the images with MountImage.  I then
>ran the installer, and it produced no errors.  So I rebooted.
>
>What happened next was I got the happy mac, and then the welcome to macintosh
>dialogue box appears.  Then the drive stops and the dialogue box begins to
>shimmer (as though being redrawn at a high rate).
>
>The stranger part is that this same installer was used on a Mac Plus with no
>trouble at all (with MountImage).
>
>Does anyone know what is up??  I also tried the customize option with no luck
>(same problem).  Also tried this installer on another SE/30 and same problem.
>I had no inits in the system folder.....(hide them in another folder)
>
>I also have 5Meg ram and I am running 6.0.7 (still).
>
>I will try to re-upload the files, but it seems strange that I could unstuff,
>binhex and run the installer without error if the problem was in the
>upload....(I used the 800K disks).
>
>Anyone with ideas, or similar problems????

  The Installer is known to have problems with using MountImage images.  Your
best bet is to install from real floppies or from a server.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     blah blah blah blah...