[comp.sys.mac.misc] Amiga Video Toaster for the MAC

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/20/91)

  There has been some chatter lately in the Amiga newsgroups that the
New Tek Video Toaster will soon be available for Mac users. It replaces
$50,000 worth of professional video equipment by using the Amiga CPU and
the New Tek hardware. It also includes Toaster Paint, and Lightwave 3D.
Apparantly the Toaster will be bundled with either an Amiga 2000 or a
set of custom Amiga chips combined with a special CPU, but it will be in an
Amiga 2000 expansion case. This may mean that it will have 5 additional
expansion slots for time based corrector and other graphics boards. It will
also be able to interface directly with a Mac or read Mac floppies. It
should cost about $4000.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) (04/23/91)

I read an article about the Video Toaster the other day that commented on the
possibility of them making one for the Mac soon.  I called NewTek and talked
to one of the salestypes.  She said there were NO plans for a Mac-based Video
Toaster in ANY future.  What the article was referring to was the Amiga 2000
based turnkey system that they currently sell and using a Mac with the video
output converted to NTSC as one of the video inputs.  Nothing more.  You can
do that now for (that's right) $4,000.

What I would really like to see is someone come out with a direct connect
Mac device that does Toaster-level stuff with a built in NTSC conversion
for $2,000.  That would make my beloved Mac into a consumer level video
machine for a reasonable price.  Reasonable, albeit not Cheap.
--
Richard K. Mossman  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!rkmossm
415/823-0974

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (04/23/91)

In article <5967@pbhyb.PacBell.COM> rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) writes:

>What I would really like to see is someone come out with a direct connect
>Mac device that does Toaster-level stuff with a built in NTSC conversion
>for $2,000.  That would make my beloved Mac into a consumer level video
>machine for a reasonable price.  Reasonable, albeit not Cheap.

 Luckily I'm a Mac owner. An Amiga owner would laugh his head off at this
idea. Do you have any idea of what the toaster can do? If not try and catch
Tod Rundgren's latest video. It *easily* rivals what I have seen from Pixar
and SGI. It could easily do the Lifesaver ad.
 I don't have all the specs on this product, but similar Mac boards look like
a JOKE when compared with the toaster.
 Remember - I'm a Mac owner, not an Amiga fanatic.

mike
--
Michael Graham          |"Say you were going to sing in a club tomorrow -
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     | what kind of stuff would you sing?"

In article <1991Apr23.031929.16324@cs.dal.ca> graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
>In article <5967@pbhyb.PacBell.COM> rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) writes:
>>
>>What I would really like to see is someone come out with a direct connect
>>Mac device that does Toaster-level stuff with a built in NTSC conversion
>>for $2,000.  That would make my beloved Mac into a consumer level video
>>machine for a reasonable price.  Reasonable, albeit not Cheap.
>
> Luckily I'm a Mac owner. An Amiga owner would laugh his head off at this
>idea. Do you have any idea of what the toaster can do? If not try and catch
>Tod Rundgren's latest video. It *easily* rivals what I have seen from Pixar
>and SGI. It could easily do the Lifesaver ad.
> I don't have all the specs on this product, but similar Mac boards look like
>a JOKE when compared with the toaster.
> Remember - I'm a Mac owner, not an Amiga fanatic.

	The biggest step forward will be when NewTek releases the
interface specs for their board and software so that 3rd party
companies (er, make that 4th party companies 8-) can start
developing improvements. I can think of a lot of fun things to do
with dual 24 bit frame buffers!

>mike
>--
>Michael Graham          |"Say you were going to sing in a club tomorrow -
>graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     | what kind of stuff would you sing?"
>mgraham@ac.dal.ca       |"Something nice...something very, very nice...a song -
>graham@iris1.ucis.dal.ca| a tune, a ballad perhaps" - Diane Keaton on Letterman

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.045546.18569@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	The biggest step forward will be when NewTek releases the
>interface specs for their board and software so that 3rd party
>companies (er, make that 4th party companies 8-) can start
>developing improvements. I can think of a lot of fun things to do
>with dual 24 bit frame buffers!

 Why would they release the specs on this state of the art board?

mike

--

In article <1991Apr23.171539.4428@cs.dal.ca> graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.045546.18569@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>>	The biggest step forward will be when NewTek releases the
>>interface specs for their board and software so that 3rd party
>>companies (er, make that 4th party companies 8-) can start
>>developing improvements. I can think of a lot of fun things to do
>>with dual 24 bit frame buffers!
>>
> Why would they release the specs on this state of the art board?

	They aren't stupid. They know that their product will
eventually start to lag behind. The best way to prevent that, or
at least improve the situation, is to have lots of support.
NewTek is a small company headquartered in Topeka, KS. They can't
do it all by themselves. Besides, there are tons of little
utilities out there which could greatly improve things.
	Also, since there is interprocess communications, people
can write routines that will link the paint, 3-D and DVE programs
together, if NewTek releases specs. I seem to remember talk about
a Toaster Developers Conference.
	Basically, I think they are taking the IBM route. It is
AMAZING what has been done with such a miserable OS and CPU.
Absolutely astounding. While both Apple and Commodore have held
back to closed systems, fearing competition would hurt sales, the
MS-DOS market has well over 80 million machines and IBMs sales
are doing quite well.

>mike
>
>--
>Michael Graham          |"Say you were going to sing in a club tomorrow -
>graham@ug.cs.dal.ca     | what kind of stuff would you sing?"
>mgraham@ac.dal.ca       |"Something nice...something very, very nice...a song -
>graham@iris1.ucis.dal.ca| a tune, a ballad perhaps" - Diane Keaton on Letterman

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.031929.16324@cs.dal.ca> graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
>In article <5967@pbhyb.PacBell.COM> rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) writes:
>>
>>What I would really like to see is someone come out with a direct connect
>>Mac device that does Toaster-level stuff with a built in NTSC conversion
>>for $2,000.  That would make my beloved Mac into a consumer level video
>>machine for a reasonable price.  Reasonable, albeit not Cheap.
>
> Luckily I'm a Mac owner. An Amiga owner would laugh his head off at this
>idea. Do you have any idea of what the toaster can do? If not try and catch
>Tod Rundgren's latest video. It *easily* rivals what I have seen from Pixar
>and SGI. It could easily do the Lifesaver ad.
> I don't have all the specs on this product, but similar Mac boards look like
>a JOKE when compared with the toaster.
> Remember - I'm a Mac owner, not an Amiga fanatic.
>
>mike
>--

I think you may have the facts a little messed up here.  The Video Toaster
is a video production device, not a renderer.  It is designed to give you
near commercial quality transition effects and some limited graphics (titling,
etc).

Transition effects include:

	- fade from one video signal to another
	- video signal in flying window
	- slide image in from the side.
	- chroma keying of one signal over another
	- etc.

Basically, the device allows you to combine video signals in a neat way, to
create some of the snazzy scene transitions they have in commerical
newscasts and shows like "Entertainment Tonight".

In the version of the toaster I have seen (which was demonstrated to our
company), there were no significant rendering functions.  This means
you cannot create anything even resembling the "lifesaver commercial" with
the toaster - it is intended for an entirely different purpose.

The toaster could be used to take existing video of the lifesavers and
combine segments in interesting ways, but could not produce the graphics
themselves.  To compare it to Pixar or SGI products is like comparing
Apples and screwdrivers.

Eric
Eric Mitchell                      |   "We're Screwed!!!"
Ph. 604-278-3411 Fax. 604-278-2936 |
email  !uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!ewm    |	- Spaced Invaders.
    or ewm%mda.ca@wimsey.bc.ca     |
    or ewm@mda.ca		   |

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (04/25/91)

In article <1195@mdavcr.UUCP> ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.031929.16324@cs.dal.ca> graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
>> Luckily I'm a Mac owner. An Amiga owner would laugh his head off at this
>>idea. Do you have any idea of what the toaster can do? If not try and catch
>>Tod Rundgren's latest video. It *easily* rivals what I have seen from Pixar
>>and SGI. It could easily do the Lifesaver ad.

>>mike
>
>I think you may have the facts a little messed up here.  The Video Toaster
>is a video production device, not a renderer.  It is designed to give you
>near commercial quality transition effects and some limited graphics (titling,
>etc).

Not quite.  The toaster, both the $1600 Amiga version and the proposed
$4000 Mac version, includes

	A) Transition effects master program
	B) Character generator
	C) Lightwave, the 3-D Modeler/Renderer/Animator (truly *amazing*)
	D) ToasterPaint, a 24-bit paint program (much like Digi-Paint
	   3.0, if you've ever seen it)
	E) ChromaFX, a color tweaker/special effects program

Lightwave is not a true renderer, granted (it uses Phong shading to
achieve shadowed effects), but the output is terrific, and it is *fast*.
The animation capabilities and output is quite up to par with what Pixar
has been putting out.  Indeed, check out Todd Rundgren's video.  It was
done *entirely* with the Video Toaster, from start to finish.

>In the version of the toaster I have seen (which was demonstrated to our
>company), there were no significant rendering functions.  This means
>you cannot create anything even resembling the "lifesaver commercial" with
>the toaster - it is intended for an entirely different purpose.
>
>The toaster could be used to take existing video of the lifesavers and
>combine segments in interesting ways, but could not produce the graphics
>themselves.  To compare it to Pixar or SGI products is like comparing
>Apples and screwdrivers.

Lightwave is actually the most interesting part of the package.  I
cannot understand why it was not demonstrated to you, as it is an
integral part of the Toaster.

>Eric Mitchell                      |   "We're Screwed!!!"

Peace,
Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
                 |__  ///     .   .      | Macincrap/UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/26/91)

You have got to be joking!

New Tek is making no plans what-so-ever to offer the Video Toaster on ANY
other platform...both Apple and IBM waived money in front of their faces,
but they refuse to do it.

For one thing, interfacing the hardware would be abit of a pain because
they would have to build additional hardware that gave the correct NTSC
compatible signals to the board.

The software is written specifically for the Amiga, and it uses the Amiga's
built in hardware for its display.  It wouldn't be "impossible" to port it
over, but they would have to do ALOT of extra work.

What HAS been talked about, by New Tek, is the release of a standalone
Toaster box for about $1000.  But  this more than likely will be just a
switcher/DVE...no paint...no 3D.  All of these would require an Amiga CPU
of some kind.  And while it wouldn't bee too difficult for them to purchase
Amiga motherboards for inclusion in their own box, it would cost ALOT more
than $1000 to do so!

This standalone box wouldn't be for interfacing to any particular computer
though.  I'm sure if they include a serial port on it, someone will write
some software to have it Mac controlled, or clone controlled.  But it still
wouldn't be like having the real thing, with all the apps intact.

And it sure as Hell woudn't be like a Toaster equipped A2000 sporting one
of GVP's new 50MHz boards with 32MB of RAM...not to mention the AmiLink/VT
edit controller software that gives you full control over the Toaster's
DVEs in an edit decision list.

Sorry, but New Tek's not going to make it THAT easy on Macfolk :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/26/91)

And if you aren't aware, Tod Rundgren is a Mac-head as well.  In fact, he
was wearing a Mac sweatshirt in the Amiga World article about him.

But, the real point is, to make his video (which made history) he used a
Toaster and TEN A2500s.  It was a total of about 7200 or so LightWave 3D
frames.

I too was very impressed.  There was nothing amateurish about it, in
concept or in execution.  What amazed me even further was that he did it
all by himself...modelling, etc...EVERYTHING.

It's a wonderful product...our Holy Grail if you will...just as PageMaker
is yours (I'll stick with Pro Page v2.0 thank you very much).

Sean

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (04/26/91)

In article <1195@mdavcr.UUCP> ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) writes:

>I think you may have the facts a little messed up here.  The Video Toaster
>is a video production device, not a renderer.  It is designed to give you
>near commercial quality transition effects and some limited graphics (titling,
>etc).
  [stuff about the Toaster's abilities deleted]

    Yes and no.  The hardware part of the Toaster handles the video,
with the effects defined and controled by the controlling part of
the software package.  Included with the toaster is a 24 bit paint
program, and Lightwave 3D.  Lightwave 3D is a fantastic 3D
modeler/renderer which allows you to design a 3D animation, and
render it, with full controll of the lighting, timing, etc.  To
play the animation, a single frame recorder is needed.
    Think about it this way, there are several 3D animation programs
on the Mac that go for >$2000, so an extra $2000 for the Amiga with
a Toaster is a real steal :)

Rick

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (04/26/91)

In article <8820@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>And if you aren't aware, Tod Rundgren is a Mac-head as well.  In fact, he
>was wearing a Mac sweatshirt in the Amiga World article about him.

This is true... Sad.. but true :-) ...c'mon - smile...

>But, the real point is, to make his video (which made history) he used a
>Toaster and TEN A2500s.  It was a total of about 7200 or so LightWave 3D
>frames.

Whoops! Sorry - according to the article (I think) it was 10 toasters
and 5 2500's...

>I too was very impressed.  There was nothing amateurish about it, in
>concept or in execution.  What amazed me even further was that he did it
>all by himself...modelling, etc...EVERYTHING.

I'm starting to hate Rundgren - think about this guy - a Rock-a-maniac
who's a Mac Dude - using Amiga Products... where do the paradox's end!!???

>It's a wonderful product...our Holy Grail if you will...just as PageMaker
>is yours (I'll stick with Pro Page v2.0 thank you very much).

I'll stick with Excellence!2.0 - thank you.. (which I bought used today for $40)

>Sean
>  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________

Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
 -jeremy

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr23.185910.1826@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	Basically, I think they are taking the IBM route. It is
>AMAZING what has been done with such a miserable OS and CPU.
>Absolutely astounding.

It is *not* amazing, nor astounding.  In fact, it is abyssmal.  It is
antiquated, and requires huge efforts to get so much information across
such a little bus. PC-based "video systems" leave a lot to be desired,
DVI included.

The VideoToaster is an Amiga, and though one could foresee yet-another-computer
interfacing with it, one would have to question its value. Data transfer, yes,
direct control, why?

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (04/27/91)

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) writes:
>I think you may have the facts a little messed up here.  The Video Toaster
>is a video production device, not a renderer.  It is designed to give you
>near commercial quality transition effects and some limited graphics (titling,
>etc).
>
>Transition effects include:
>
>	- fade from one video signal to another
>	- video signal in flying window
>	- slide image in from the side.
>	- chroma keying of one signal over another
>	- etc.
>
>Basically, the device allows you to combine video signals in a neat way, to
>create some of the snazzy scene transitions they have in commerical
>newscasts and shows like "Entertainment Tonight".
>
>In the version of the toaster I have seen (which was demonstrated to our
>company), there were no significant rendering functions.  This means
>you cannot create anything even resembling the "lifesaver commercial" with
>the toaster - it is intended for an entirely different purpose.
>
>The toaster could be used to take existing video of the lifesavers and
>combine segments in interesting ways, but could not produce the graphics
>themselves.  To compare it to Pixar or SGI products is like comparing
>Apples and screwdrivers.

No, The toaster includes Lightwave 3d, which is a fully capable 3d object
modeling and rendering program.  it also includes Toaster Paint, a 24 bit
paint program.  Lightwave is designed to create individual frames of an
animation and render each one in between.  Lightwave comes free with the
toaster, so does toaster paint.  also, the toaster doesn't currently do chroma
keying, just luminance keying, but chroma keying is planned for a future
upgrade.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/28/91)

In article <1195@mdavcr.UUCP> ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.031929.16324@cs.dal.ca> graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham) writes:
>>In article <5967@pbhyb.PacBell.COM> rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) writes:
>>>
>>>What I would really like to see is someone come out with a direct connect
>>>Mac device that does Toaster-level stuff with a built in NTSC conversion
>>
>> Luckily I'm a Mac owner. An Amiga owner would laugh his head off at this
>>idea. Do you have any idea of what the toaster can do? If not try and catch
>>Tod Rundgren's latest video. It *easily* rivals what I have seen from Pixar
>>and SGI. It could easily do the Lifesaver ad.
>> I don't have all the specs on this product, but similar Mac boards look like
>>a JOKE when compared with the toaster.
>
>I think you may have the facts a little messed up here.  The Video Toaster
>is a video production device, not a renderer.  It is designed to give you
>near commercial quality transition effects and some limited graphics (titling,
>etc).
>
>Basically, the device allows you to combine video signals in a neat way, to
>create some of the snazzy scene transitions they have in commerical
>newscasts and shows like "Entertainment Tonight".
>
>The toaster could be used to take existing video of the lifesavers and
>combine segments in interesting ways, but could not produce the graphics
>themselves.  To compare it to Pixar or SGI products is like comparing
>Apples and screwdrivers.

  Have you ever heard of Toaster Paint or Lightwave 3D? They are two
programs included with the Video Toaster. One is a paint program, and
the other is for 3D renderings, although it does lack one feature in the
3D modeling programs. It will do ray-tracing, but it 'cheats' on the ray
tracing in order to speed up the process (and it still does some impressive
things). It cannot do refractions.

  As for your comparison of Apples and screwdrivers, I have both and use the
screwdrivers more often :).

--

maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) (04/28/91)

In article <2236@gold.gvg.tek.com> brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) writes:

>It is *not* amazing, nor astounding.  In fact, it is abyssmal.  It is
>antiquated, and requires huge efforts to get so much information across
>such a little bus. PC-based "video systems" leave a lot to be desired,
>DVI included.
>
>The VideoToaster is an Amiga, and though one could foresee yet-another-computer
>interfacing with it, one would have to question its value. Data transfer, yes,
>direct control, why?

Amen to that!

Despite that many people hail the Toaster as the Next Best Thing Since Sliced
Bread, it does have significant limitations for commercial and broadcast users.
I know, I know, that NuTek never really claimed that the Toaster could replace
say, a Pinnacle 2010 or Kaleidoscope or even a Kadenza. BUT: (and this is a
big butt with cheeks) I know of many fellow production company owners who have
bought the Toaster instead of scraping more dough together to buy more capable
systems... and they have been burned.  The current trend in broadcast video
production is towards COMPONENT and DIGITAL video signals and processing.
Component video simply provides for a better picture over multiple generations
than composite signals; same with digital video.

Perhaps, if NuTek would release a COMPONENT or even DIGITAL version of their
Toaster, more members of the broadcast community would embrace it.

I may get flak for this, but I must say it: NuTek should be more explicit on
the Toaster's capabilities AND limitations. Of course, purchasing a piece of
gear that is touted to replace or accomplish what existing DVE's do is tempting;
but finding out that you CANNOT integrate this device into your existing
Betacam-SP, M-II or even S-VHS component system -- is flushing money down the
toilet.

Okay, okay, I know responsible managers would do their jobs and inquire more
deeply about the Toaster before making a final purchase decision; BUT, how
many NON-fortune-1000 companies and small businesses do that?

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/28/91)

>   As for your comparison of Apples and screwdrivers, I have both and use the
> screwdrivers more often :).
>

> --
>     David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>            Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                    Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

Would that be a Phillips or a flat blade?

No, but seriously, the other guy DOES have HIS facts messed up. The
animations done with the Toaster and included software are quite
impressive. It is true thatit isn't real ray-tracing, however, in the
interest of speed, it's a goodtradeoff. I suppose that if you had to have
real ray-tracing, you could input fromanother source.  Look at the NewTek
Toaster demo sometime - it was all done on a Toaster and toaster software
- if those aren't graphics, then it's back to infocom gamnes for me.

rory

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/29/91)

Information can already be obtained from New Tek on how to access the
framebuffers, etc.  It's always been possible to do through ARexx.

The trick is...none of this will really help out the Mac users a bit.  Any
improvements will be made to software that runs on the Amiga.  Whether a
Mac user is working with the Toaster on an Amiga or on NewTek's standalone
unit (there is no difference, except in name), they will still have to work
with an Amiga.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/29/91)

Right...and anyone who doesn't think that LightWave is capable of taking on
what's being done with Pixar and SGI products needs to check out Tod
Rundgren's "Change Myself" video.  Watch this, and then consider that he
did it all on his own, in only a few months time.

Imagine what a full staff of animators could do with the software!

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/29/91)

LightWave 3D IS a true renderer (how do you fake this???).  It is not a
raytracer, which is only one method of rendering an image.

It does, however, raytrace its shadows...but only its shadows.  To add
realism to LightWave renderings you use mapping techniques, including:
image, bump, reflection, environment.

Also...there is no proposed $4000 Mac version.  There will be a standalone
box that you will be able to buy under the New Tek label, but it will be an
Amiga/Toaster bundle.  The Mac (or IBM clone for that matter) can send its
video to one of the Toaster's inputs (providing it's been converted to
NTSC), and can possibly send commands for effects, etc. through the RS232
port, or a possible LAN port and communicate through ARexx.

But there would be no difference between using an "Amiga" Amiga, and a
"New Tek Video Computer" Amiga.  They're both Amigas...the only difference
is in the name.  What is in a name...

And I quote from the May 1991 issue of Mac World magazine, page 107, bottom
left paragraph, 3rd sentence:

        Though the Video Toaster requires an Amiga 2000 or 2500, NewTek
        is promoting a Toaster-Amiga combination as a Macintosh peripheral
        that can be connected to a Mac with an RGB-to-NTSC encoder like
        RasterOps' Video Expander board...NewTek is adding the ability to
        read and write Macintosh bitmaps, some 3-D formats, and PostScript
        files so they can be animated or used as overlays.

What NewTek is proposing is what any Mac user can do right now.  All they
have to do is go down to an Amiga dealer, plunk down their cash for an
Amiga and Toaster, and there they are.  The software upgrade will just be
there to benefit Amiga users, though it will make life easier for Macfolk
who own an Amiga to have access to the Toaster.

You can either wait for NewTek's VAR box, or you can get you an Amiga right
now.  The end effect will be the same no matter which route you take.  No
matter what, you're going to have an Amiga.  No matter what, you'll need to
learn at least some of AmigaDOS.

You can either wait for NewTek...or get some work done NOW!

Sean

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/29/91)

In article <16987@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>In article <8820@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>>

>>And if you aren't aware, Tod Rundgren is a Mac-head as well.  In fact, he
>>was wearing a Mac sweatshirt in the Amiga World article about him.
>
>This is true... Sad.. but true :-) ...c'mon - smile...

  I have a Mac drinking cup; hey, it was free!

>>But, the real point is, to make his video (which made history) he used a
>>Toaster and TEN A2500s.  It was a total of about 7200 or so LightWave 3D
>>frames.
>
>Whoops! Sorry - according to the article (I think) it was 10 toasters
>and 5 2500's...

  10 Amigas. Look at the artricle again. To his left you will see 5 Amigas
stacked up, and directly in front of hime you will see the BACK of another
stack of five Amigas.

>>I too was very impressed.  There was nothing amateurish about it, in
>>concept or in execution.  What amazed me even further was that he did it
>>all by himself...modelling, etc...EVERYTHING.
>
>I'm starting to hate Rundgren - think about this guy - a Rock-a-maniac
>who's a Mac Dude - using Amiga Products... where do the paradox's end!!???
>

>>It's a wonderful product...our Holy Grail if you will...just as PageMaker
>>is yours (I'll stick with Pro Page v2.0 thank you very much).
>
>I'll stick with Excellence!2.0 - thank you.. (which I bought used today for $40)

  Have yo guys seen Saxon Publisher yet? Blows everything away!

>>Sean
>>  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
>

>Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
> -jeremy

Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.toaster
 -david

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.160619.5046@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>>This is true... Sad.. but true :-) ...c'mon - smile...
>>>But, the real point is, to make his video (which made history) he used a
>>>Toaster and TEN A2500s.  It was a total of about 7200 or so LightWave 3D
>>>frames.
>>
>>Whoops! Sorry - according to the article (I think) it was 10 toasters
>>and 5 2500's...
>
>  10 Amigas. Look at the artricle again. To his left you will see 5 Amigas
>stacked up, and directly in front of hime you will see the BACK of another
>stack of five Amigas.
>
>>I'm starting to hate Rundgren - think about this guy - a Rock-a-maniac
>>who's a Mac Dude - using Amiga Products... where do the paradox's end!!???
>>
>>>It's a wonderful product...our Holy Grail if you will...just as PageMaker
>>>is yours (I'll stick with Pro Page v2.0 thank you very much).
>>
>>I'll stick with Excellence!2.0 - thank you.. (which I bought used today for $40)
>
>  Have yo guys seen Saxon Publisher yet? Blows everything away!
>
>>Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
>> -jeremy
>
>Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.toaster
> -david
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

This thread seems to be straying from anything of interest to mac owners...
please either keep the content pertinent, or take the discussion over to
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy or one of the other (20 or so at last count) amiga
groups, ok?

--
Don DeVoe
ddev@wam.umd.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.084754.29484@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1158@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Greg Penetrante) writes:

>I may get flak for this, but I must say it: NuTek should be more explicit on
>the Toaster's capabilities AND limitations. Of course, purchasing a piece of
>gear that is touted to replace or accomplish what existing DVE's do is tempting;
>but finding out that you CANNOT integrate this device into your existing
>Betacam-SP, M-II or even S-VHS component system -- is flushing money down the
>toilet.
>
>Okay, okay, I know responsible managers would do their jobs and inquire more
>deeply about the Toaster before making a final purchase decision; BUT, how
>many NON-fortune-1000 companies and small businesses do that?

And you expect NewTek to counsel the purchasers when they think they may
be making a wrong purchase?!  "I'm sorry, but I don't think you should buy our
product."

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.183148.15463@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>And you expect NewTek to counsel the purchasers when they think they may
>be making a wrong purchase?!  "I'm sorry, but I don't think you should buy our
>product."

If appropriate, yes.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/01/91)

Nowhere on any of NewTek's literature does it say that the Toaster would
directly interface to any of the component or digital formats.

Right on the back of every brochure is a nice rundown of it's interfaces
and other specs.

If some idiot bought the CURRENT version of the Toaster thinking it had
such capabilities, then he deserved to get burnt.

I'm sure NewTek is working on a component version of the Toaster, this only
makes sense.  They're not resting on their laurels and just watching the
money roll in :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/02/91)

I've seen Saxon, and if I weren't already hooked on Pro Page, I might
consider it.

The style tagging, importation of IFF24, etc. really had Gold Disk
scrambling.  But I don't like Saxon's interface.

Heh, I'd like to see that guy pull in an IFF24 into Exellence!2.0...

Sean

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/02/91)

In article <8914@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Also...there is no proposed $4000 Mac version.  There will be a standalone
>box that you will be able to buy under the New Tek label, but it will be an
>Amiga/Toaster bundle.  The Mac (or IBM clone for that matter) can send its
>video to one of the Toaster's inputs (providing it's been converted to
>NTSC), and can possibly send commands for effects, etc. through the RS232
>port, or a possible LAN port and communicate through ARexx.
>
>But there would be no difference between using an "Amiga" Amiga, and a
>"New Tek Video Computer" Amiga.  They're both Amigas...the only difference
>is in the name.  What is in a name...
>
>And I quote from the May 1991 issue of Mac World magazine, page 107, bottom
>left paragraph, 3rd sentence:
>
>        Though the Video Toaster requires an Amiga 2000 or 2500, NewTek
>        is promoting a Toaster-Amiga combination as a Macintosh peripheral
>        that can be connected to a Mac with an RGB-to-NTSC encoder like
>        RasterOps' Video Expander board...NewTek is adding the ability to
>        read and write Macintosh bitmaps, some 3-D formats, and PostScript
>        files so they can be animated or used as overlays.
>
>What NewTek is proposing is what any Mac user can do right now.  All they
>have to do is go down to an Amiga dealer, plunk down their cash for an
>Amiga and Toaster, and there they are.  The software upgrade will just be
>there to benefit Amiga users, though it will make life easier for Macfolk
>who own an Amiga to have access to the Toaster.

  Actually, mac users could easily by the Toaster or Amiga set-up along
with a Mac emulator, such as Amax II+, and run the mac software right
off of the Toaster set-up.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/91)

The only problem with with getting the "Trojan Horse" and installing AMAX
II+ (one, it's not going to be available 'till June) is that while under
the "posession" of AMAX, you have no access to the Toaster.

It would be an either/or situation.

Now, they could easily just live with it, and learn to live (and love)
working with the Amiga, er, "Trojan Horse," but I doubt that's what they
had in mind.

Sean

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/07/91)

In article <17416@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.183148.15463@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>
>>And you expect NewTek to counsel the purchasers when they think they may
>>be making a wrong purchase?!  "I'm sorry, but I don't think you should buy our
>>product."
>
>If appropriate, yes.

  The Video Toaster is an ingenious product. Do you also complain when people
buy VCR's and don't get digital recordings? Where you complaining when video
cameras were released that couldn't handle bright light sources, or white
clothing? All of these are available with $100,000 machines, but not with
$500 machines. You are getting a $1500 hardware product that does more than
anything in its price range, and can handle professional television
broadcasting. Don't expect HBO or CNN to suddenly go Video Toaster. Expect
the local cable real estate channel or the TV guide or the guy who video
tapes weddings to use it. I have seen this computer used by many cable
companies, and in fact I am associated with some productions. If you sat and
watched the broadcasts, you would not know that it was done with a Video
Toaster or DCTV or anything else in its class. They are very professional,
and they do an excellent job for the price paid.
  It no longer takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to make music videos,
tutorial tapes, documentaries, closed circuit broadcasting, etc. The Video
Toaster makes TV broadcasting available to the common man, and the studio
on a budget.

>-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.
     But the world isn't too good here, and it wasn't always like that."
                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/10/91)

In article <9048@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>The only problem with with getting the "Trojan Horse" and installing AMAX
>II+ (one, it's not going to be available 'till June) is that while under
>the "posession" of AMAX, you have no access to the Toaster.

  Do you mean as a hardware restriction from AMAX or the Toaster? I would
think that Mac programmers would be eager to code for the Toaster directly
from AMAX....theoretically, all of the custom chips are still there, and
I wouldn't be surprised if AMAX relies on the custom chips too.

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.
     But the world isn't too good here, and it wasn't always like that."
                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/20/91)

While under the control of AMAX, you would have no access to the Toaster.
The Toaster's software requires AmigaDOS.  Under AMAX you no longer have
any ties to AmigaDOS, even though makes use of the custom chips to speed up
operations such as screen updates, etc.

I 'spose they could run AMAX on an A500, and control a Toaster equipped
A2x00, or the "Trojan Horse."  But my question would be, is it worth it?

They should just learn to run the Amiga software to use the Toaster...it'll
make life easier on them.

Now, if Readysoft chucked the Apple ROMs and went with the new clone ROMs,
then AMAX (or should I say SuperAMAX) could multitask, and run the MAC as a
subtask under AmigaDOS...then you could do some interaction between
environments on the same machine.  The trick is, then developers would have
to program for the AMAX environment, which would be very interesting.

Or MAYBE, Commodore will liscense the Amiga's custom chips, and some clever
Mac developer will write an Amiga emulator, complete with a videoslot so
that the Toaster could be plugged in....R I G H T~r :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (05/21/91)

Newtek is selling (I think) a Toaster for the Mac.  It includes the
toaster itself installed in an Amiga, and costs about $3500.  I guess
they must include some pre-setup software that lets the Mac connect
to the Amiga as an external terminal, or something, and send commands
to the toaster that way.  Think of te Amiga as a fancy host adapter,
and you've got the idea.

                        lee

In article <91141.112512UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Newtek is selling (I think) a Toaster for the Mac.  It includes the
>toaster itself installed in an Amiga, and costs about $3500.  I guess
>they must include some pre-setup software that lets the Mac connect
>to the Amiga as an external terminal, or something, and send commands
>to the toaster that way.  Think of te Amiga as a fancy host adapter,
>and you've got the idea.
>
>                        lee

	I seem to remember something like the Toaster can accept
Mac video input and Mac format graphics files.
Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (05/22/91)

In article <91141.112512UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Think of te Amiga as a fancy host adapter, and you've got the idea.
>
>                        lee

Boy...  well for the money we're used to forking out for Mac hardware, that
is probably a reasonalble way of looking at it.

                           Neal