[comp.sys.mac.misc] 02/TrueType questions answered

Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) (05/06/91)

draw, initially, faster than their corresponding TrueType fonts. Even on
machines like the Mac Plus this should only be a short-lived problem.
	You should not run into this problem if you do not use a program like
Suitecase II or MasterJuggler. If you are running under System 7.0, you will
not encounter this problem either.
Q:	I am using Adobe Type Manager. Can I use TrueType fonts too?
A:	Yes you can. ATM and TrueType solve essentially the same problem. They
just use different fonts and rendering engines to reach the same goal. You
can freely mix ATM and TrueType fonts without any problem. You can even have
the same version of a font in TrueType and ATM. That is, you can have both an
ATM version and TrueType version of Helvetica on the same System. In such a
case, the TrueType font will take precedence over the ATM one.
Q:	My Mac is connected to a postscript printer. Can I use TrueType? Which
fonts will the printer use?
A:	You can use TrueType to get good quality fonts on your screen. The printer
will use its own Postscript fonts when printing, even if TrueType versions of
those fonts exist.
Q: I am using a DeskWriter printer and like the fonts that HP has given me
more than the TrueType ones. But I like TrueType enough to want to use it on
screen. Which fonts will the printer use.
A:	As with Postscript based printers the printerUs font will take precedence
over the TrueType equivalents. The HP font will be used when printing. This
holds true for other printers like the DeskWriter, including GCCUs Personal
Laser Printers, that use their own outline font technology.

                          *********

Internet: ken.knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org    AOL: KenKnight
        "Goodness me; could this be; Industrial Disease?"
 * Origin: Kensington Ken - just a point (1:109/421.4217)

wchang@qin.Berkeley.EDU (William Chang) (05/07/91)

In article <673545631.1@blkcat.FidoNet.Org> Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) writes:
>Q: I am using a DeskWriter printer and like the fonts that HP has given me
>more than the TrueType ones.

Does this suggest TrueType is of lower quality?  Has anyone done a comparison
of TrueType, HP, and Adobe fonts?  (I realize quality varies depending on
printer; I use both DeskWriter and Apple LaserWriter.)

Thanks in advance.
			    William Chang (wchang@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu)

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.170048.16879@agate.berkeley.edu>, wchang@qin.Berkeley.EDU (William Chang) writes:
>In article <673545631.1@blkcat.FidoNet.Org> Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) writes:
>>Q: I am using a DeskWriter printer and like the fonts that HP has given me
>>more than the TrueType ones.

>Does this suggest TrueType is of lower quality?  Has anyone done a comparison
>of TrueType, HP, and Adobe fonts?  (I realize quality varies depending on
>printer; I use both DeskWriter and Apple LaserWriter.)

	This is a matter of personal opinion.  I personally prefer the
TrueType fonts; I consider the HP fonts to be "fatter" somehow, and not
quite as attractive (although they're certainly much better than the bitmap
fonts I had on my old Imagewriter I  :)

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) (05/07/91)

WC>From: wchang@qin.Berkeley.EDU (William Chang)
WC>
WC>In article <673545631.1@blkcat.FidoNet.Org>
WC>Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) writes:
WC>>Q: I am using a DeskWriter printer and like the fonts that HP has
WC>given me
WC>>more than the TrueType ones.
WC>
WC>Does this suggest TrueType is of lower quality?  Has anyone done a
WC>comparison
WC>of TrueType, HP, and Adobe fonts?  (I realize quality varies depending

All I had been using that Q. for was an example. Actually, I know some people
that like the HP fonts better at the smaller sizes (9 point and less). Decsions
on the quality of a font are a very subjective thing. Personally, I don't see
any real difference and am using the TT fonts cause they take less room.

In article <1991May6.204523.23497@granite.ma30.bull.com> sullivan@granite.ma30.bull.com (Marie J. Sullivan) writes:
>In article <673545631.1@blkcat.FidoNet.Org> Ken.Knight@p4217.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ken Knight) writes:
>>Q:	My Mac is connected to a postscript printer. Can I use TrueType? Which
>>fonts will the printer use?
>>A:	You can use TrueType to get good quality fonts on your screen. The printer
>>will use its own Postscript fonts when printing, even if TrueType versions of
>>those fonts exist.
>
>If this is so, then why does the readme that comes with the TrueType INIT
>warn that if you use TrueType on a machine that prints to a shared PostScript
>printer, _all_ machines using that printer must use TrueType or the printer
>will be reinitialized with every switch?

If I'm not mistaken, this is because the TrueType "Laser Prep" equivalent (the file isn't actually there, I assume it is contained in the driver) is different
from the old Laser Prep in that it contains the code necessary to render
TrueType on the printer.