[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sore joints -- not just

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (05/21/91)

-----
I don't worry about CTS as much as I do the long-term effects
of repetitive stress to my finger joints.  The keys of the
Apple keyboards come to sudden and complete stop right after
the key is activated.  The results is that after a few hours
of working, my finger joints are sore.  (Does anyone remember
the smooth feel of the IBM Selectric typewriter?)

In last month's Scientific American, there was short article
on alternate keyboards.  One, called AccuKey, was two keyboards
for each hand, each having only four keys, so that one's fingers
never move from its home key, nor begin a strike from midair
above the key.  Individual characters are formed by combinations.
Naturally, no pointer was given to the source of such keyboards.
Does anyone out there have one?

Russell

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/22/91)

I haven't heard of the AccuKey keyboard, but I do know of a company called
Infogrip that is making a chord keyboard called the Bat which uses seven keys,
four for the fingers and three for the thumb. They haven't started to ship to
the mass market yet, but soon. I wrote an article about it for TidBITS a while
back, #27 to be precise, and here's the phone number. Infogrip - 504-336-0033.
It's worth calling - you'll talk to the president, Ward Bond, and he's a nice
guy.

-A-Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us