[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where do I get files to uncompress .hqx .sit files ?

li@athena.cs.uga.edu (Jialin li) (05/14/91)

Hello there. I am not a mac user, so I don't even know
the names of files which are equivalent to pkunzip, zoo
on pc. I have searched serval mac anonymous ftp places,
but didn't know what I was looking for.

Would someone please let's me know where and what should
I look for to uncompress .hqx, .sit files?

Thanks,

Jialin

abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) (05/15/91)

Hi there,

   I believe you will need "MacCompress" for ".hqx" files and
"StuffIt" for ".sit."  If you need to unpack ".pit" files,
you will need "PackIt" also!

Hope that helps.

YOurs Sincerely,m
Kelvin

Kelvin  /  Internet: abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
  Leung/     or      Kelvin.Leung@dartmouth.edu
      /      or      abs0@northstar.dartmouth.edu
0

rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Richard Sucgang) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.231135.17726@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>   I believe you will need "MacCompress" for ".hqx" files and
>"StuffIt" for ".sit."  If you need to unpack ".pit" files,
>you will need "PackIt" also!

Stuffit will take care of the ".hqx" files, which are BinHexed.
Look underthe decode Binhex menu.

Other, I believe.

-rich
Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
de slime god         rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.231135.17726@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>   I believe you will need "MacCompress" for ".hqx" files and
>"StuffIt" for ".sit."  If you need to unpack ".pit" files,
>you will need "PackIt" also!

.hqx files are BinHex 4.0 files.  StuffIt 1.51 can decode these.

.sit files are StuffIt archives.  StuffIt 1.51 can decode these :-).

.pit files are PackIt archives.  StuffIt 1.51 can decode these, too.
--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) (05/16/91)

Kent Boortz  <boortz@sics.se> wrote:

>NO, NO, NO,....
>
>.hqx is BinHex format, you can decode it from StuffIt 1.5.1 (and I
>belive StuffIt Deluxe). StuffIt 1.5.1 can also unpack .pit files.
>
>All that is needed is StuffIt/UnStuffIt
>
>Kent Boortz
>boortz@sics.se
>
>.Z files needs MacCompress

Oops! sorry, I messed up.  In order words, get StuffIt 1.5.1.

Thanks for the correction, Kent!

--Kelvin Leung

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.231135.17726@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>   I believe you will need "MacCompress" for ".hqx" files and
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No. MacCompress handles unix compress files (.Z). What you need is
binhex 4.0. but see below....

>"StuffIt" for ".sit."  If you need to unpack ".pit" files,
>you will need "PackIt" also!

Stuffit Deluxe (commerical) Handles .sit (new and old) and I think
.hqx and .pit files

Compactor (shareware) handles .cpt, .sit (old style) and .hqx (I don't
think it does .pit, but not sure.)

Stuffit Classic (shareware), I'm not sure, it is a replacement for
1.5.1 below and I think includes most of the same functions with an
improved interface -- I haven't tried it. I like Compactor.

Stuffit 1.5.1 (shareware) handles .sit (oldstyle), .hqx and .pit

The fact that there are two types of .sit file which are incompatible
is a point of extreme annoyance and I think they should have come up
with a new suffix for the new type.

IN addition, there are various freeware tools
Unstuffit (.sit old only)
Unstuffit deluxe (.sit new and old)
Extractor (.cpt files)
Binhex 4.0 (.hqx)

--
scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
	"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."

) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.173156.7145@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:

>Kent Boortz  <boortz@sics.se> wrote:
>
>>NO, NO, NO,....
>>
>>.hqx is BinHex format, you can decode it from StuffIt 1.5.1 (and I
>>belive StuffIt Deluxe). StuffIt 1.5.1 can also unpack .pit files.

The draw back is that Stuffit is the slowest implementation of the BinHex
decoder I have ever seen, and it cjokes about 60% of the time anyway.  Get
the Binhex DA or use compactor Pro.

Compactor decodes Binhex much faster than stuffit, and opens stuffit archives
much faster than stuffit.  And it packs files smaller than stuffit.  And it
packs much faster than stuffit.  And it work in the background, unlike Stuffit.
(Stuffit CLAIMS to work in the bacground, but takes up to 1 hour to pack 1Meg
of files in the bacground.  Compactor is about 10-20 times faster).

So my advice is avoid Stuffit like the plauge.  Get compactor and you can
unpack anything packed by the less enlightened, or from the net.  You can
open Binhex archives as well, and you will be spending a whole lot less time
packing and unpacking files.

Heck, I don't even allow stuffit archives on my board, they take too much room.
Anything uploaded with stuffit is immediately unpacked and repacked with
Compactor (usually at a space savings of between 2% and 25% (usually about
5-10%).

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |The Coven BBS (303) 777 2911 PCP via CODEN Stalr*nk too|
|---------------------|100 Megs of storage.  Areas for IBM/MAC/Apple. Games.  |

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/17/91)

My personal total fave has been DiskDoubler, which packs almost as
small as the others and is much faster. It also has a dandy Finder
interface.

Rumor has it that v3.7 will be available soon, and that this will add
both faster and smaller compression algorithms, stand-alone archives,
and support for stuffit and compactor archives.

It works just fine in the background, and will support system 7 just
as nicely as 6.

All in all, an excellent product, and worth buying as opposed to
sharing.

bill coderre
not an apple endorsement

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (05/21/91)

In article <1991May16.230748.13747@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, kreme@isis.cs.du.edu
(Name? I don't need no stinking name!) says:
[text deleted]

>The draw back is that Stuffit is the slowest implementation of the BinHex
>decoder I have ever seen, and it cjokes about 60% of the time anyway.  Get
>the Binhex DA or use compactor Pro.
>
>Compactor decodes Binhex much faster than stuffit, and opens stuffit archives
>much faster than stuffit.  And it packs files smaller than stuffit.  And it
>packs much faster than stuffit.  And it work in the background, unlike
>Stuffit.

Are you comparing 1.5.1 or Classic?

The problem with Compact Pro's un BinHex is that it needs the text before
the "this file was ... BinHex 4.0" to be removed. Stuffit doesn't.

BinHqx 1.02 (a DA is quick) though.

Kevin

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre |
Liverpool University   | The journey is the reward.

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/22/91)

In article <1991May16.230748.13747@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, kreme@isis.cs.du.edu
(Name? I don't need no stinking name!) says:
>The problem with Compact Pro's un BinHex is that it needs the text before
>the "this file was ... BinHex 4.0" to be removed. Stuffit doesn't.
>
>BinHqx 1.02 (a DA is quick) though.

DeHqx 1.5 by Peter Lewis is better than all three of these.
It does batch conversions, it can strip out news headers;  it will even
let you save more than one series of comp.binaries.mac multi-part
postings (in order) to the SAME text file for downloadings.

Best of all, DeHqx is also FREE.  See /info-mac/util on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)