[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sys 7 bug?

qaly1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/22/91)

In article <1991May22.114451.4985@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>,
qaly1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

> Help!
>
> I just installed System 7 yesterday (with a number of tribulations that
> I won't go into here), and today I am working at customizing things and
> getting all the peripherals to work.  One of these is the modem using
> NetSerial.  Like a fool I just went ahead and dropped the NetSerial
> chooser document and the NSPrefs cdev into the System folder and let
> System 7 put them where it thought they should go.  Calling up the
> Control Panel NSPrefs went fine until I tried to change an option there
> and close the panel, at which point I got an error modal saying that
> the proper resource was not available or some such.  No biggie, thought
> I.  I'll just put things one level up (like in Sys 6.0.x) like I have
> seen recommended numerous times here on the net, and everything should
> then get found fine......WRONG!  Trying to move the NetSerial Chooser
> Extension from the Extensions folder to ANYWHERE (System folder, DeskTop,
> other folders, trash, etc.) causes the entire Mac to go into stasis
> and never return, i.e., a thinking watch whose hands do not revolve.
> I have left the machine in this state for over an hour, so I don't think
> it's just being slow.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tom Stout
> QALY1@CRNLVAX5

ARGH!  The situation is worse than I thought!  I just tried to throw
out a file I made with Word4, and landed in the same situation as
above.  Apparently I am unable to move any files around the DeskTop
at all.

Have any of you run into this problem?  Better still, does anyone
know what to do about it (short of reverting to 6.0.x)?

-Tom