[comp.sys.mac.misc] Darmouth Server Software?

mg2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Andrew Gelman) (05/22/91)

My boss claims that he has heard of a set of programs that work as a
distributed software server, one that allows better control over what is
being used at any given time than the standard file server software.  He
thinks it is from Dartmouth college.
Can anyone tell me if such a thing exists, and who to talk to about it?

Yours Distributedly,
Michael A. Gelman (mg2x@andrew.cmu.edu) "The Guy with the Cookie Monster"
Programmer/Consultant -- Faculty Software Development Lab
Carnegie Mellon University,  Pittsburgh, PA
#include <disclaimer.h>

ddaniel@lindy.Stanford.EDU (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (05/23/91)

In article <AcCeC6K00UzxI2KJsO@andrew.cmu.edu> mg2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Andrew Gelman) writes:
>My boss claims that he has heard of a set of programs that work as a
>distributed software server, one that allows better control over what is
>being used at any given time than the standard file server software.  He
>thinks it is from Dartmouth college.
>Can anyone tell me if such a thing exists, and who to talk to about it?

The product is KeyServer, and it is available from Sassafras Software,
a company whose association with Dartmouth is not clear to me.

They can be reached at:	Sassafras Software
			P.O. Box 150
			Hanover, NH  03755
			(603) 643-3351

or contact the developer directly:
			Denis Devlin
			denisd@dartmouth.edu
		bitnet:	DDEVLIN@DARTCMS1.BITNET

In short, the product allows the administrator to set how many copies
of an application may be run concurrently over the network.  On
individual machines, when a user attempts to run an application, the
application must first check out a key from the key server.  If the
maximum number of copies are already running, the server will notify
the user and offer to queue them for the first available key.

It looks great, and it is being run here at Stanford in the Medical
School, from which I got the information (hi, lizzie!).  My two
questions, which I haven't gotten around to asking Denis yet, are
(i) what can be done if my users still haven't gotten the hang of
multifinder and are as likely to close all the windows and return to
the Finder without ever quitting from the application (and thus tying
up a key needlessly); (ii) although this seems compliant with the
spirit of the licensing agreements, I haven't looked at them closely
enough to know if any software vendors object to this set-up.

I gather there was a recent review of software that does this sort of
thing in MacWeek(?), judging from a letter from Denis I saw there.
Does anyone know which issue and what it had to say?

  == Daniel ==                     Daniel Sternbergh
                                   ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu
                                   Local Network Administrator
                                   Materials Science & Engineering