[comp.sys.mac.misc] sys 7 on a 6.0x network?

dak@bismarck.mips.com (Dave Kearney) (05/23/91)

Greetings,

Are there terrible consequences for the rest of the network of 6.05 machines
if I load system 7 on my machine?  Or what limitations will I encounter?

Thanx
Dave

--
David A. Kearney                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
mips.com    950 DeGuigne Dr.    Sunnyvale, CA  94086   +1 408 524-7025

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (05/23/91)

dak@bismarck.mips.com (Dave Kearney) writes:

>Are there terrible consequences for the rest of the network of 6.05
>machines if I load system 7 on my machine?

The only thing that I can think of is that either you'll have to
reinstall the older printer drivers or convince everyone else to upgrade
to the TrueType printer drivers available for anonymous ftp from
ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3)  Version 6.1 drivers are compatible with the
7.0 printer drivers.  Other than the laser wars, everything works fine.
You really want to be running AppleTalk Phase II, but you can install
AppleTalk Phase I if you need to from the Network Installer disk.

It's kind of cool to make your own personal machine a file server for
all those 6.0.5 people.

>Or what limitations will I encounter?

You can't get as much work done because everyone is crowding around your
machine checking out the new features :-)

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/23/91)

In article <53247@apple.Apple.COM>, blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes...

>It's kind of cool to make your own personal machine a file server for
>all those 6.0.5 people.

>>Or what limitations will I encounter?

>You can't get as much work done because everyone is crowding around your
>machine checking out the new features :-)

This is unrelated, perhaps, but there is a certain justice to a
an arrangement like this.  On "future-Net", one's latest work
could be placed in a network-readable directory.  If enough
people decide to download your latest work, your machine slows
down to the point that you have to take a vacation!

That's why it would have made sense to put 7.0 on apple.com
after all.  People have been going nuts trying to get seven;
sounds like the Blue Meanies have earned a rest!  ;-)

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)