[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mobius Cards for SE

jk4i+@andrew.cmu.edu (John McCall Kingsley, III) (05/21/91)

Hi,

I have read some about the Mobius cards for the SE, and was wondering if
anyone has used one and what their thoughts about this product are?  In
addition, they sell the large monitors for the SE, are these nice high
quality monitors, or are they only marginal.

Thanks,

Jack Kingsley

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (05/22/91)

In article <scCGCyK00WBM81Em85@andrew.cmu.edu> jk4i+@andrew.cmu.edu (John McCall Kingsley, III) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have read some about the Mobius cards for the SE, and was wondering if
>anyone has used one and what their thoughts about this product are?  In
>addition, they sell the large monitors for the SE, are these nice high
>quality monitors, or are they only marginal.

The good news: the FPD (one-page) monitor is very clean and easy
on the eyes, also remains square and undistorted. The accelerator
card that comes with it makes a huge diffence in performance, and
is ESSENTIAL for a big screen where there is a lot of window
updating. For graphics-intensive stuff, like imaging an Illustrator
graphic, I get about a 60% speedup, which is very significant. This
is with the 68000 card; now they have also the 68030 card which is
supposed to be much faster.

The other good news: when I had problems with the card and monitor,
they shipped me replacements right away, free, through UPS, asking
me to return my bad equipment in the same shipping box, and they
sent UPS to pick it up. Lately, they invoice you at the same time
for the cost of the replacement equipment, and then they are supposed
to send you a new invoice for $00 after they pick up the return.

The problems: their older accelerator card was hard to fit into the
SE case - actually pushed against the motherboard after installation.
Also, it took a lot of power. I had to have them send me a replacement
because my SE would crash for no reason. The new board solved the
problem; they said it takes less power.

Other problem: the monitor's power supply went bad. I have just received
my second replacement due to this problem. They extend the warrantee another
year on such a replacement.

If you can deal with the hassles, it really is a great monochrome monitor
to work on. I couldn't live without the accelerator; all-in-all, the
package is a great price.

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb) (05/22/91)

> I have read some about the Mobius cards for the SE, and was wondering if
> anyone has used one and what their thoughts about this product are?  In
> addition, they sell the large monitors for the SE, are these nice high
> quality monitors, or are they only marginal.

For two months I have been the owner of a Mobius FPD with 030 & math
coprocessor.  The display is excellent!  I have had no compatability
problems with the 030 either.  I feel that the combo is one of the best
deals available at this time for the Mac if you're looking for a FPD.
Highly recommended.

Mike

E-Mail: erby@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Michael Erb)
USPS  : Michael R. Erb
        PO Box 6770
        Ithaca, NY  14851-6770
Phone : (607) 277-4326

rdavis@star.enet.dec.com (Ray Davis) (05/23/91)

In article <scCGCyK00WBM81Em85@andrew.cmu.edu> jk4i+@andrew.cmu.edu (John McCall Kingsley, III) writes:

>I have read some about the Mobius cards for the SE, and was wondering if
>anyone has used one and what their thoughts about this product are?

I was planning to go the Mobius road to get FPD for my SE, but I'm interested
in VM as well, so this is how the costs look for me:

    Mobius 68030-accelerated FPD	$1000
    PMMU add-on to EC030		  250
    4 meg of memory for Mobius board	  160
    Connectix Virtual software		  ???
    Total				$1500 or so

To upgrade and get a supported configuration for System 7 VM:

    Apple SE/30 upgrade			$1000
    Ehmann FPD				  500
    2 meg of memory for SE/30		   80
    Total				$1600 or so

Mobius was much more enticing when an SE/30 upgrade was $1700.

Ray