[comp.sys.mac.misc] ftp.apple.com

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (11/21/90)

What is up with ftp.apple.com ? I know there's a directory called ~ftp/nerdtoolsand I can cd into it but I can't get directory listing (nor of the root         directory). I am doing something wrong or do you have to be one of the
"cognoscenti" ?

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) (05/15/91)

>Sigh.  Yes, it crashed.  We're doing a reinstall of software, and it
>should be up later; possibly today.  (You see, we have this world wide
>developer's conference going on, and most of the people concerned with
>ftp.apple.com are busy with that, and...)

>Murphy strikes.

I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As
other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back
up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!).
Dave
* David Faust | tigger@freezer.acs.udel.edu  | Some professors can only be     *
*             | tigger@chopin.udel.edu       | classified as weenies!!!!       *

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (05/15/91)

In article <53581@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
>>Sigh.  Yes, it crashed.  We're doing a reinstall of software, and it
>>should be up later; possibly today.  (You see, we have this world wide
>>developer's conference going on, and most of the people concerned with
>>ftp.apple.com are busy with that, and...)
>
>>Murphy strikes.
>
>I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
>ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As
>other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back
>up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!).
>Dave

I DISAGREE.   Apple  had  YEARS  to plan   this  announcement and  its
arrangements and  what   do we  got  now. We   have   seen  the  fancy
descriptions here but nothing more.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ============================
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

levin@star-trek.bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.073756.13998@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) writes:
|In article <53581@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
|>I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
|>ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As
|>other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back
|>up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!).
|
|I DISAGREE.   Apple  had  YEARS  to plan   this  announcement and  its
|arrangements and  what   do we  got  now. We   have   seen  the  fancy
|descriptions here but nothing more.

To all the moaners and groaners out there:

   Oh, please.  Give us a break.

   You've already had your money's worth; anything extra will be gravy.

   Anything that you want from ftp.apple.com is available elsewhere(*);
   if you want it for free you have to be prepared for some inconvenience.

	/JBL

Disclaimer: my personal opinions only.

(*) In your case in particular I realize this may not be a true
statement, as things are different outside the U.S.A.
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  | "How does a mouse let me move the cursor anywhere
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  I want?"  "What are address busses?"  "How do
pots: (617)873-3463  |  icons work?"              --Time-Life Books

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/18/91)

Harri Valkama writes in a message to All

>I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
>ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As >other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back >up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!). >Dave
HV>  I DISAGREE. Apple had YEARS to plan this announcement and its
HV> arrangements and what do we got now. We have seen the fancy descriptions
HV> here but nothing more.

Then go to your local dealer and get it.  Jeesh!  So you have to wait a few days before you can ftp it for free.  BFD!  Go complain to Microsoft.  After all, when is the last time you got a free system software update?

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May15.073756.13998@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) writes:
>In article <53581@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
>>I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
>>ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As
>>other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back
>>up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!).
>>Dave
>
>I DISAGREE.   Apple  had  YEARS  to plan   this  announcement and  its
>arrangements and  what   do we  got  now. We   have   seen  the  fancy
>descriptions here but nothing more.

A few points that might sway your opinion in the other direction:

  * Mark Johnson is running ftp.apple.com with little official support
    from Apple. Beating up on him is unfair, at best.

  * Commercial use of the Internet was very questionable up until recently,
    and the rules are still being defined. Apple didn't have years to plan
    the announcement.

  * Supporting 50,000 people hungry for the latest copy of System 7.0
    is a mind boggling task. ftp.apple.com was receiving 30 connections
    A MINUTE when I was out in San Jose last week. That sort of rate will
    bog down just about any machine. Remember, that's 30 people trying
    to connect a minute - they haven't even started downloading the files.

  If you think it is easy, I strongly suggest that you announce something
very popular as being available from your site via anonymous FTP and see
how your machine behaves. It's very educational.

--

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@eclectic.com

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

ghe@physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (05/22/91)

In article <163@eclectic.COM>, kovar@eclectic.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:
|> In article <1991May15.073756.13998@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) writes:
|> >In article <53581@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
|>
|>   If you think it is easy, I strongly suggest that you announce something
|> very popular as being available from your site via anonymous FTP and see
|> how your machine behaves. It's very educational.

I know it won't be easy. But I would let other ftp site to have the package
before I announce something. And let other ftp site to upload them freely,
(at least for the first month). Limit the max # of ftp server on my machine
will be one good thing to do, too.

|> -David C. Kovar
|> 	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@eclectic.com
|> 	Eclectic Associates			AppleLink: ECLECTIC
|> 	Ma Bell: 617-643-3373			MacNET: DKovar
|>
|>          "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

---
  Guangliang He                |  -----Go Blazers!-----
  ghe@physics.orst.edu         |  -----Go Blazers!-----

ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Hodge Podge) (05/23/91)

Can any one get a connection to ftp.apple.com?? I can't never seem to get a
connection.  The item I am looking for is the extension picker, or what ever
it is called, the replacement for INIT/CDEV.  If any one had been ablt to
get it, would they please post it to comp.mca.binaries or mail it to me.
Thanks in advance.

--
Gene Moreau, University of Manitoba.
ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) (05/24/91)

ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Hodge Podge) writes:

>[...] the replacement for INIT/CDEV.  If any one had been ablt to
>get it, would they please post it to comp.mca.binaries or mail it to me.
>Thanks in advance.

The program is called the "Extension Manager".  It's available in the Info-Mac
archives at Sumex.  I assume it will also be at mac.archive.umich.edu too.

Brendan Duddridge
umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (05/24/91)