[comp.sys.mac.misc] upgrading mac SE? Go Apple!

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/25/91)

In article <3675@hsi86.hsi.com>, kenney@hsi86.hsi.com (Brian Kenney) writes:
> In article <1991May17.134107.46858@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>
>>As far as the ROMS go, Virtual takes care of that nicely, thank you.  Running
>>under Multifinder, the only time much switching takes place right now on my
>>machine, is when I swap between programs.  That really only takes .25 of a
>>second, so the lag is not particularly noticable.
>
> Perhaps, but the SE/30 ROMS also get you Color QuickDraw.  And the SE/30 also
> comes with the SWIM chip for the FDHD, and the Apple sound chip.  And
> then you still have the vacant PDS slot.
>
> I still would consider an accelerator for my SE, but it would have to
> be priced much lower than the SE -> SE/30 upgrade to be an attractive
> alternative.

After installing system 7, and using it for a while on my Gemini board, I must
now agree with Brian.

Under system 6.0.x, my Plus could have up to 15MB of virtual memory.  that is a
slick option, but system 7 doesn't recognize the 68030 board, and therefore
won't give me VM.  Connectix will be coming out with it's version 3 of Virtual,
said to be system 7 compatible, but they've said that the memory limit will
still be 15MB.

For $34 more, (assuming I had an SE), I could get the se/30 upgrade, and look
forward to mode32, and BIG memory, plus color graphics, and stable sound.
Sounds like the SE/30 upgrade is the way to go to extend the useful life of a
machine.

I plan on getting rid of this Plus after school, so right now, this is a viable
solution for me...BUT, (when I grow up and get a 'real' job), I plan on getting
a ci or fx (heck, by then, I might even be looking at a tower system...or will
it be RISC...?...;)

P.S. Happy computing all!
(Mac Rules)

P.P.S. Thanks Mark Johnson for all the effort.  Y'all have done a great job.

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /