[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where can I find BBS software?

zap@netcom.COM (Paul Eastham) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.035558.7672@milton.u.washington.edu> tertium@milton.u.washington.edu (Xue_Qiao Zhao) writes:
>I am interested in starting a BBS, and want to know about software.  Could
>someone point me to a good source?

As far as I have seen, there are no full-blown BBS archives that you can FTP
to  (at least none are listed on odin@pilot.njin.net 's FTP list.)  A few FTP
sites carry one or two BBS programs.  Try calling a large file BBS in your
area. In terms of software, I would like to recommend RBBS and Spitfire.

Since you are posting this to .entrepeneurs, I take it you're planning on
making some money of this deal.  Unless you have several networked computers,
hard drives with capacities in the hundreds of megabytes, and lotsa time to
devote to it, DON'T plan on making much money.  I ran a BBS for 9 months with
a decent setup and a lot of callers.  During that time, I brought in only
$80.  I invested much more than that timewise.

In any case, good luck!

--
--------
--------  "Ack!" -- Bill the Cat