[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 documentation

rc7@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Catrambone) (05/25/91)

I have not read the newsgroup in a while, but my quick
scan (based on headers) leads me to wonder the following:
  If I get System 7.0 via ftp.apple.com (which I assume
  is perfectly legal?), what do I do about documentation?
  Based on the messages I scanned, it seems like there are
  lots of new features (and/or bugs, depending on one's
  feelings I suppose) that might not be easily understood
  by virture of being only a system 6.0.7 user.  So, I guess
  I am wondering:  1) will I need documentation; 2) if so,
  does this mean I might as well just go out and buy the
  diskettes with 7.0 that presumably also come with the
  documentation?

Thanks.

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/25/91)

Another (minimal) source of documentation for System 7 is in the form
of a very interesting Hypercard stack that comes with it.  This stack
illustrates (via animated sequences) how the new features work.
Anyone who says Hypercard is only a toy should examine this stack.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/25/91)

I read somewhere that Apple was considering selling an "upgrade pack"
of 15 manuals for $349 (i.e. about $23/manual).  Does Apple still
--

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May24.182650.18142@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>Another (minimal) source of documentation for System 7 is in the form
>of a very interesting Hypercard stack that comes with it.  This stack
>illustrates (via animated sequences) how the new features work.
>Anyone who says Hypercard is only a toy should examine this stack.

        Except for the fact that my machine froze during one of the
animated "demonstration" sequences --- something which I have no intention
of trying to reproduce --- I heartily agree.  I also had a brief look at
the Networking Basics "help application" (?), which looked just as polished.
But since my Mac is stand-alone ...

                                John