[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why does Mac output not look as good as LaTex

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/27/91)

In article <76668@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
> In article <1445@mephisto.edu>, ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
> > However, some subset of this optimization could (and should) be performed in
> > real time by WYSIWYG word processors.  (E.g., it would be fairly easy to
> > optimize one paragraph at a time.)  I'd be interested in hearing about
> > programs that do this.
>
> I was actually thinking about what this would be like in a WYSIWYG editor,
> and I came to the conclusion that you wouldn't want to do the recomputations
> _very_ often, because it would be very disconcerting as a user to be say
> typing in the middle of the paragraph and have your cursor jumping all over
> the place because the whole paragraph (including the part above the cursor)
> is jiggling with every character you type.  You'd have to apply the paragraph-
> wise heuristics after you leave the paragraph and settle for only line-at-a-
> time heuristics while you're editing.

How about something like the "background repagination" in Word?
Whenever the application is idle, it starts re-hyphenating all of
the paragraphs in the document, one at a time. As soon as the
user starts typing or doing something, the hyphenation stops.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.