[comp.sys.mac.misc] Multitasking =/=> Background printing, copyin

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/27/91)

In article <1441@mephisto.edu>, ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
> Given that system 7 has "multitasking" and the "new print architecture", I
> would expect to be able to print in the background.  After all, printing is
> just another task like anything else, right?  Even without a spooler, I would
> expect to be able to put the application that is printing into the background
> and work on something else, just like I can do with any other task.

[ etc etc ]

Well, you *can* do copying in the background. Just set the copy
going, then switch to another application *using the MultiFinder
menu*. You can't switch by just clicking, which is annoying, but
you *can* use the menu to switch.

Formatting doesn't appear to background at all, which is a real
bitch when you want to format 20 HD floppies :-(

I haven't tried printing yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it
worked similarly to copying. PrintMonitor is still there, it
wouldn't be if you couldn't background print.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.