[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to search thru many files for text?

ajm212@csc.anu.edu.au (05/27/91)

I have "lost" some text in a file somewhere on my hard disk.  Is there
any utility that will scan a specified set of files (say all those in a
particular folder) regardless of their type, for a simple text string?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew Mackinnon

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May27.145327.1@csc.anu.edu.au> ajm212@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>I have "lost" some text in a file somewhere on my hard disk.  Is there
>any utility that will scan a specified set of files (say all those in a
>particular folder) regardless of their type, for a simple text string?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Andrew Mackinnon

I use Gopher 2.0 from Microlytics Inc. (716 248-9150).  It is really fast,
it can read just about every file-type I've got (including every word
processor format) and it uses really powerful boolean logic to specify the
text which you want to find (for example:  'macintosh AND worship OR ibm AND
garbage').  I got Gopher when I bought Disktop 4.0, but I don't know if
they're still being packaged together.  If so, you get two really great
utilities for a pretty darn good price.

Cheers,

Alan
  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions