[comp.sys.mac.misc] what is EvE INIT 1.4?

toc@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Tim O'Connor) (05/24/91)

people:

	Anyone out there know what EvE INIT 1.4 does?  I found this
	thing on my Mac and can't remember just how it got there.  I'm
	sure I put it there and am not worried about evil doings.  I
	just don't know what it is or what it does.  Can anyone help
	poor beffuddled me?

					where angels fear to tread,
								to'c

sje@xylos.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards) (05/24/91)

In article <21803@ogicse.ogi.edu> toc@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Tim O'Connor) writes:

> people:

> Anyone out there know what EvE INIT 1.4 does?  I found this
> thing on my Mac and can't remember just how it got there.  I'm
> sure I put it there and am not worried about evil doings.  I
> just don't know what it is or what it does.  Can anyone help
> poor beffuddled me?

	I believe that this is a software component of a dongle-based
form of copy protection.  The "Eve" name is a trademark (I think) of a
copy protection company that has advertises in the various computer
magazines.  A dongle is a small device that connects to an I/O port
and contains a small ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit).
This device is interrogated by the protected application when the
application starts (and perhaps at semi-random intervals throughout
execution).  Because only one such dongle is sold with each package,
only one copy of the application may be running at a time.  Most of
the dongle protection devices for the Macintosh use the Apple Desktop
Bus for interfacing.

	If you are not using a dongle on your machine, you can toss
the Eve init, although you might want to keep a backup copy on floppy
somewhere.

	Personally, the only "copy-protected" software I buy is a
"look it up in the manual" or a "personal serialization" variety.
Weird schemes that rely on external gizmos or ill-formatted disks are
things I'll leave for someone else to purchase.

      == Steven J. Edwards           Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
      == (508) 294-3484              300 Concord Road         MS 820A ==
      == sje@xylos.ma30.bull.com     Billerica, MA 01821          USA ==
"That Government which Governs the Least, Governs Best." -- Thomas Jefferson

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (05/27/91)

In article <21803@ogicse.ogi.edu> toc@ogicse.cse.ogi.edu (Tim O'Connor) writes:
>people:
>
>	Anyone out there know what EvE INIT 1.4 does?

That thing is there for "dongle" protection, used by an ADB device that
can be serialized or set to allow only certain functions.

If you do not run any serialized software, it can be removed.
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long live the Usenet!