[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mixed metaphors in System 7.0

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/22/91)

	I was told by a person at Apple that Suitcases in System 7.0 are to
	be thought of as containers (i.e. like folder) in the Finder.  If
	this is true then I think that there is, at least, a small defect in
	the metaphor here.  Read on...

	I think it's weird that if you drag a Suitcase into the System File
	that the Suitcase disappears.  If in System 7.0 Suitcases should
	behave similar to a folder, when I drag a folder into the desktop, I
	expect the folder to placed on the desktop, and NOT for the folder
	to 'spill its guts' on to the desktop (i.e. the folder disappears
	and the contents are not in the 'container' anymore).

	I know that this is a nit, but Suitcases open up into what looks
	like a Finder window, except it has this strange behavior when
	dragged into the System File.  Another thing that you CANNOT do with
	items in a Suitcase (e.g. DA's and Fonts) is make aliases of them.
	One more inconsistency.

	If Suitcase windows behave differently than other Finder windows
	(i.e. folders), then it should look different.  Otherwise make them
	behave the same.

	Remember, similar controls (or containers) should behave similarly.

	Be "user friendly",

	=Mike

--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/23/91)

	I just realized that one solution could be to ONLY ALLOW DRAGGING
	THE ITEMS IN THE SUITCASE (i.e. DAs and Fonts) INTO THE SYSTEM FILE.

	Dragging the Suitcase into the System File should issue a warning
	stating that the Suitcase should be opened and contents dragged
	instead.  This will prevent users from losing the organization they
	had with their Suitcases.

	Note, this problem is especially bad when dragging multiple Suitcase
	with multiple items in each Suitcase into the System File.  All
	Suitcases will be opened and all organizational information will be
	lost forever!!  The user would have to manually rebuild the Suitcases
	if he wanted them back.  Apple, are you listening?

	System-7.0-atically Yours,

	=Mike

--

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (05/24/91)

From: gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: Mixed metaphors in System 7.0 (Suitcases)

From: gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc

In article <YEE.91May22121911@pmin27.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee)
writes:
>    I think it's weird that if you drag a Suitcase into the System File
>    that the Suitcase disappears.  If in System 7.0 Suitcases should
>    behave similar to a folder, when I drag a folder into the desktop, I
>    expect the folder to placed on the desktop, and NOT for the folder
>    to 'spill its guts' on to the desktop (i.e. the folder disappears
>    and the contents are not in the 'container' anymore).

Note that this is a special feature that to my knowledge only happens when
you drop something onto the System Folder.
Try this:
Place some INITs (extensions in 7.0-speak) and cdevs into a folder on your
disk. Now drag the folder to the System Folder. You will be told that the
items need to go in special places inside the system folder. Click OK. The
items are moved to their special places and the folder is gone!
  If all the items in  the folder or suitcase are not moved into the
system or one of the special folders, the folder is left intact with the
remaining item(s) inside the System folder where you expect it.

At least it is consistent for folders and suitcases.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/29/91)

:
:  Note that this is a special feature that to my knowledge only happens when
:  you drop something onto the System Folder.
:  Try this:
:  Place some INITs (extensions in 7.0-speak) and cdevs into a folder on your
:  disk. Now drag the folder to the System Folder. You will be told that the
:  items need to go in special places inside the system folder. Click OK. The
:  items are moved to their special places and the folder is gone!
:    If all the items in  the folder or suitcase are not moved into the
:  system or one of the special folders, the folder is left intact with the
:  remaining item(s) inside the System folder where you expect it.
:
:  At least it is consistent for folders and suitcases.

	Great example!

	So, since the system posts a warning dialog when the users drags a
	folders with system extensions into the System Folder before
	'unpacking' it, then I would expect the same warning for Suitcases
	and the System File.  If I remember correctly, the warning dialog,
	posted when you drag a system extension into the System Folder,
	gives you the chance to Cancel the operation.  Therefore, shouldn't
	a similar dialog be posted when an user drags a Suitcase into the
	System File?

	=Mike