[comp.sys.mac.misc] upgrading mac SE with Gemini accelerator

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) (05/12/91)

Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Gemini accelerator
boards fro an SE.  I was looking to boost my little SE up to 40 mhz.  Only
thing, I would like to have more than the 4 meg RAM that I have now, which
is the max for an SE.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Actual consulting call -"The computer says        Kent P. Iler
   to press any-key.  My keyboard doesn't         Mainframe consultant
   have an ANY-key!"                              Kansas State University
Bitnet : kentiler@ksuvm,Internet : kentiler@ksuvm.ksu.edu

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/14/91)

kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:

>Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Gemini accelerator
>boards fro an SE.  I was looking to boost my little SE up to 40 mhz.  Only
>thing, I would like to have more than the 4 meg RAM that I have now, which
>is the max for an SE.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

The limit you will always have is 4 megs, no matter which accelerator
that you get.  The problem is your SE ROMs, they only support 4 megs.

The only option around this is to upgrade to an SE/30.  This will
get you a 68030 so the VM will work in system 7.0.  Also you get
8 megs of hard RAM capability.   How?  New ROMs!

Of course, you will not get a 40 mhz cpu, but you can always
accelerate later....
--
= Enjoy!                                                                   =
=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/17/91)

In article <6398@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>
>>Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Gemini accelerator
>>boards fro an SE.  I was looking to boost my little SE up to 40 mhz.  Only
>>thing, I would like to have more than the 4 meg RAM that I have now, which
>>is the max for an SE.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
> The limit you will always have is 4 megs, no matter which accelerator
> that you get.  The problem is your SE ROMs, they only support 4 megs.

This is a popular misconception.  I'm running up to 15MB of memory right now on
my Mac Plus, (using the Connectix program Virtual, and a Gemini board
upgradable to 40Mhz, just by buying some chips.)  Since this is the exact same
board model that gets added to an SE, I don't see why I could do it on a Plus,
and not on an SE...

Also, I talked with a gentleman at Connectix, and he said that Version 3 of
Virtual, combined with system 7, will allow those of us who have Gemini boards
to use the 4MB SIMMs on the Gemini board.  I don't beleive that we can go
above 16MB as of now, but really, isn't that plenty?

> The only option around this is to upgrade to an SE/30.  This will
> get you a 68030 so the VM will work in system 7.0.  Also you get
> 8 megs of hard RAM capability.   How?  New ROMs!

Notice, Kent was asking about the Gemini board, which has a full 68030
on-board.  (For a small price break, it CAN be bought with a 68020, and then
upgraded to a 68030 just by replacing the cpu. The coprocessor slot can use
either a 68881 or a 68882.  I just recently bought a 40Mhz 68882 from Don Novy,
and it works great, so that to upgrade to 40Mhz, all I'll have to buy is the
faster cpu, and the crystal...;)

As far as the ROMS go, Virtual takes care of that nicely, thank you.  Running
under Multifinder, the only time much switching takes place right now on my
machine, is when I swap between programs.  That really only takes .25 of a
second, so the lag is not particularly noticable.

| Ken Corey  kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org           |
| "Ladies strewn, those made to witness his charm, never daring or   |
|  allowed to touch the man behind the machine."  -Leah              |

larchen@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Lang Shen Chen) (05/18/91)

Does anyone know if any of the SE upgrade boards (030 or otherwise) improves
SCSI performance.  I know that Apple's SE ==> SE/30 does, but it is kind
of out of my price range...

Specifically, do any of the accelerators have 1:1 interleaf or whatever makes
Mac IIs disk access so fast.

thanks
Lang Chen (larchen@OCF.Berkeley.edu)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/21/91)

In article <6398@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> kentiler@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Kent Iler) writes:
>
> >Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Gemini accelerator
> >boards fro an SE.  I was looking to boost my little SE up to 40 mhz.  Only
> >thing, I would like to have more than the 4 meg RAM that I have now, which
> >is the max for an SE.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
> The limit you will always have is 4 megs, no matter which accelerator
> that you get.  The problem is your SE ROMs, they only support 4 megs.
>
> The only option around this is to upgrade to an SE/30.  This will
> get you a 68030 so the VM will work in system 7.0.  Also you get
> 8 megs of hard RAM capability.   How?  New ROMs!
>
> Of course, you will not get a 40 mhz cpu, but you can always
> accelerate later....

This is not necessarily true -- it is possible to "move" the ROMs in the
memory map via the MMU on an '030, and there would be some necessary patching
to clean up the ROM calls within itself.  It certainly isn't impossible
to have 4GB - 256K ROM - approx 64K for I/O space = approx. 4GB memory space,
if you are using the full 32-bit address of the '030.  Therefore, it is
theoretically possible, and is being worked on, to put 16MB on an accelerator.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:     G.AUSTIN3                | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May17.230300.18128@agate.berkeley.edu>, larchen@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Lang Shen Chen) writes:
> Does anyone know if any of the SE upgrade boards (030 or otherwise) improves
> SCSI performance.  I know that Apple's SE ==> SE/30 does, but it is kind
> of out of my price range...

Both the Gemini and Mercury accelerators provide their own, high-speed SCSI
interface (although the Mercury SCSI is an option).  You can specify the
drive interleave in the Apple HDSC Setup program by typing Cmd-I (that's
an "i", not an "L" or the number "1") while displaying the main dialog,
as long as you are using an Apple drive.  I believe that it is a menu option
under SilverLining...

kenney@hsi86.hsi.com (Brian Kenney) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May17.134107.46858@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

>As far as the ROMS go, Virtual takes care of that nicely, thank you.  Running
>under Multifinder, the only time much switching takes place right now on my
>machine, is when I swap between programs.  That really only takes .25 of a
>second, so the lag is not particularly noticable.

Perhaps, but the SE/30 ROMS also get you Color QuickDraw.  And the SE/30 also
comes with the SWIM chip for the FDHD, and the Apple sound chip.  And
then you still have the vacant PDS slot.

I still would consider an accelerator for my SE, but it would have to
be priced much lower than the SE -> SE/30 upgrade to be an attractive
alternative.

-Bri

--
Brian Kenney                                       kenney@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems                      Wallingford, CT

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/29/91)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) writes:

>In article <1991May17.230300.18128@agate.berkeley.edu>, larchen@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Lang Shen Chen) writes:
>> Does anyone know if any of the SE upgrade boards (030 or otherwise) improves
>> SCSI performance.  I know that Apple's SE ==> SE/30 does, but it is kind
>> of out of my price range...

>Both the Gemini and Mercury accelerators provide their own, high-speed SCSI
>interface (although the Mercury SCSI is an option).

I have just purchased and installed SE and Plus 40 MHZ Gemini Upgrades and
only the Plus version gives you a "new" SCSI interface.  I don't
know if the SE version increases the speed of the "standard" interface
but the Plus version gives you a whole new connector.  I believe
that the Plus is missing some SCSI handshaking that the SE and beyond
already have.