[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 another impression

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/28/91)

In article <72556@microsoft.UUCP>, richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) writes:
>In article <2335@cs.rit.edu> jxj2606@cs.rit.edu (Jehangir X Jungalwala) writes:
>[About HyperCard crash in 32bit mode.]
>
>Be careful here.  There are some ROMs that aren't 32bit clean (don't ask me
>which ones, because I can't tell you).  It may not be the application at
>all.

You don't know, or do you think it's classified?  <grin>

It's a more-or-less well-known fact that the Mac LC, IIsi, IIci, and IIfx are
the only Macs with 32-bit clean ROMs.  Of course, the point is moot since
System 7.0 won't let you into 32-bit Addressing Mode unless you have 32-bit
Clean ROMs to begin with.  If you don't, the dialog doesn't even show up.

So, if he's having problems with 32-bit mode and HyperCard, one could assume
that he must be -in- 32-bit mode, and thus have a Mac which allows him to do
so.  Either that, or he's got MODE32 already...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (05/29/91)

} So, if he's having problems with 32-bit mode and HyperCard, one could assume
} that he must be -in- 32-bit mode, and thus have a Mac which allows him to do
} so.  Either that, or he's got MODE32 already...

For what it's worth, HyperCard 2.1 crashed on me for no apparent reason
yesterday.  I landed in MacsBug with a bus error occuring in StripAddress.
I'm on a IIx in 24-bit mode.

} Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State

UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/29/91)

In article <1991May29.083658.22011@crash.cts.com>, mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) writes:

>For what it's worth, HyperCard 2.1 crashed on me for no apparent reason
>yesterday.  I landed in MacsBug with a bus error occuring in StripAddress.
>I'm on a IIx in 24-bit mode.

But that's not 32-bit mode.  <grin>

Uhm, using any inits?  (Shot in de dark...)

---