[comp.sys.mac.misc] File Sharing Problems in 7.0

rar@mit.edu (Roger A Roach) (05/28/91)

I've just loaded 7.0 on my MacIIci and I have a problem with file sharing.

When I have file sharing turned on and I try to empty the trash, the system
locks up (watch with no moving hands) and I have to reboot the system.  I
did turn virtual memory on, but that does not seem to have any effect on this
problem.  I also tried this on a old Mac II which also has been upgraded to
7.0 and the same problem occurs.  This is so basic that I believe I must be
doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out.  Has anyone seen this
problem?

A similar problem occurs when I try to share my hard disk on the IIci from
the old II.  I can mount shared folders just fine, but when I try to mount
the whole disk, both systems just lock up.  Any ideas on this?

I appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks.

rar@athena.mit.edu (Roger A Roach) (05/28/91)

Thanks for the help.  I found the problem that caused the system to lockup
when trying to empty the trash while file sharing was on.  It was an INIT
(oops, control panel) called Mirror from CPS.  This is a product that keeps
track of your deletes so you can get them back if you make a mistake.  It
works fine without file sharing, but does seem to cause the system to hang
when file sharing is on.

One more product to wait for an update.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Roger

In article <1991May27.211016.24306@athena.mit.edu> rar@mit.edu (Roger A Roach) writes:
>I've just loaded 7.0 on my MacIIci and I have a problem with file sharing.
>
>When I have file sharing turned on and I try to empty the trash, the system
>locks up (watch with no moving hands) and I have to reboot the system.  I
>did turn virtual memory on, but that does not seem to have any effect on this
>problem.  I also tried this on a old Mac II which also has been upgraded to
>7.0 and the same problem occurs.  This is so basic that I believe I must be
>doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out.  Has anyone seen this
>problem?

Yes.  Turn off the SUM Shield INIT (version 2.0, anyway-- anyone know if
Symantec has a new version?  They don't return my calls.)

rrr@u02.svl.cdc.com (Rich Ragan) (05/29/91)

In <1991May27.211016.24306@athena.mit.edu> rar@mit.edu (Roger A Roach) writes:

>I've just loaded 7.0 on my MacIIci and I have a problem with file sharing.

>When I have file sharing turned on and I try to empty the trash, the system
>locks up (watch with no moving hands) and I have to reboot the system.  I
>did turn virtual memory on, but that does not seem to have any effect on this
>problem.  I also tried this on a old Mac II which also has been upgraded to
>7.0 and the same problem occurs.  This is so basic that I believe I must be
>doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out.  Has anyone seen this
>problem?

>A similar problem occurs when I try to share my hard disk on the IIci from
>the old II.  I can mount shared folders just fine, but when I try to mount
>the whole disk, both systems just lock up.  Any ideas on this?

>I appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks.

I suspect that you have some INIT that patches the _Delete trap in
the toolbox. Emptying the trash causes a _Delete trap to be executed.
If sharing is turned on, the sharing stuff gets control and eventually
executes another _Delete trap but with the asynch I/O flag on. If an
INIT has patched the trap to do some stuff beforehand (like keep track
of deleted files) and then lets the delete happen, it gets into a
recursive loop because the next thing that happens is that it gets
called again with asynch version at which point it does it again and again...
Try disabling some INITS until you figure out which one.
--
Richard R. Ragan   rrr@svl.cdc.com    (408) 496-4340
Control Data Corporation - Silicon Valley Operations

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (05/30/91)

In <1991May28.125450.15589@athena.mit.edu> rar@athena.mit.edu (Roger A Roach) writes:

>Thanks for the help.  I found the problem that caused the system to lockup
>when trying to empty the trash while file sharing was on.  It was an INIT
>(oops, control panel) called Mirror from CPS.  This is a product that keeps
>track of your deletes so you can get them back if you make a mistake.  It
>works fine without file sharing, but does seem to cause the system to hang
>when file sharing is on.

>One more product to wait for an update.  Thanks for the suggestions.

I am using mirror on my SE/30 with out any apparent problems.  The
version I have comes from MacTools Deluxe v1.1.  I'm I missing something,
or just lucky?