[comp.sys.mac.misc] Squeals and whistles

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/29/91)

dan@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Dan Pleasant) writes:

>In comp.sys.mac.misc, chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>On my IIfx, if I repeatedly press the shift key without hitting any other
>keys (something I do sometimes while I'm thinking), the IIfx will begin
>to emit random squeals and whistles.  I haven't decided whether I like
>this "feature" (because it wakes me up), or hate it (because it breaks my
>train of thought).

>Has anyone else noticed this, or am I the only shift-key-twiddler around?

  This is an aural indicator that you've just turned "Easy Access"
on...
Look in the upper right hand corner of your screen, and you'll see the
icons indicating the various states of "access".
  The reason they've made it audible in 7 is that it's designed for
disabled users.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
 Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

dan@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Dan Pleasant) (05/30/91)

>>Well, since the "little double lines" have been disqualified as the
>>"most subtle System 7 change", how about this one:
>>
>>On my IIfx, if I repeatedly press the shift key without hitting any other
>>keys (something I do sometimes while I'm thinking), the IIfx will begin
>>to emit random squeals and whistles.  I haven't decided whether I like
>>this "feature" (because it wakes me up), or hate it (because it breaks my
>>train of thought).
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed this, or am I the only shift-key-twiddler around?
>>

>Sorry, Dan, I believe you are referring to the activation of
>the sticky keys feature. After you press the shift key five times,
>it becomes stuck in place, and another five times, it comes off.
>Check for the icon in the upper right.

>Intended for differently abled people. Was there in Sys 6.0x,
>I believe.

>-rich
>Richard Sucgang : Dept. of Anatomy and Cell Biology
>Columbia University (sucgang@cuhhca.hhmi.columbia.edu;
>de slime god    > rs54@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

My thanks to Rich and the other 30 million people who informed me
about Easy Access.  Any my apologies to the net for asking a
Frequently Asked Question!

Dan Pleasant