[comp.sys.mac.misc] Connecting by Modem to Network -- Question

Mark@mindlink.bc.ca (Mark Gray) (05/23/91)

I'm looking for a program that will allow me to connect a remote
Macintosh by modem to an AppleTalk network and allow the remote
computer to act just as if it were a normal node on the network (ie.,
share files and use printers).

I believe that Carbon Copy Mac and Timbuktu Remote will do the trick,
but I'm not sure.  Do you know if either of these programs will do the
job, or if not, is there a program that will do it?  I'd also be
interested in any specific comments you have on any of these
programs.

I would appreciate very much your replying directly to me and if
appropriate I'll post a summary of replies.  Thanks for your help.

Regards

--  Mark Gray --

Mark Gray                   InterNet:    Mark@mindlink.bc.ca
Vancouver B.C. Canada       Tel:         (604) 266-0500
                            Fax:         (604) 266-0510

bob@pirates.armstrong.edu (Bob Fawcett) (05/27/91)

You need a Shiva NetModem and the software that comes with it.  It does
just exactly that.

Bob Fawcett		|   bob@pirates.armstrong.edu  |   Internet
Academic Computing	|   bob@pirates.uucp	       |   UUCP
Armstrong State College	|   11935 Abercorn Street      |   Savannah, GA 31419

tdslotte@mcs.drexel.edu (Dave Slotter) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.133153.1652@pirates.armstrong.edu> bob@pirates.armstrong.e
du (Bob Fawcett) writes:
>You need a Shiva NetModem and the software that comes with it.  It does
>just exactly that.

Is it possible to purchase such software without purchasing the modem?  Is the
software written so that it it necessary to use their modem?  I have a Hayes
v-series 9600 and it would be a waste for me to buy this modem when I already
have a reliable, high-speed modem.

-Dave

     ____    Dave Slotter - tdslotte@mcs.drexel.edu - I speak only for myself.
    /    /  /    / Vice President, The DUsers - The World's First Mac User Group
   /    /  /    / James Creese Student Union at Drexel University
  /    /  /    /  ___    ___  ___   ___  3210 Chestnut Street
 /    /  /    /  /__   /__   /__/  /__  Philadelphia, PA, 19104-3412
/____/  /____/  ___/  /___  / \   ___/ (215)895-2573 voice (215)895-2579 BBS

bob@pirates.armstrong.edu (Bob Fawcett) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.043530.21937@mcs.drexel.edu> tdslotte@mcs.drexel.edu (Dave Slotter) writes:
>In article <1991May27.133153.1652@pirates.armstrong.edu> bob@pirates.armstrong.e
>du (Bob Fawcett) writes:
>>You need a Shiva NetModem and the software that comes with it.  It does
>>just exactly that.
>>

>Is it possible to purchase such software without purchasing the modem?  Is the
>software written so that it it necessary to use their modem?  I have a Hayes
>v-series 9600 and it would be a waste for me to buy this modem when I already
>have a reliable, high-speed modem.

You still need the hardware that makes the modem a stand alone network device
Shiva also makes a product called a NetSerial which comes with the software.
This gives you a network-connected serial port to which you can attach any
serial device including your favorite high speed modem.  The NetModem also
comes in a 9600 variety.  Mine is older and is the 2400 variety.  I use it
regularly to connect from home.  Also, there is a chooser device that allows
the modem to be shared across the network.  I just bring up White Knight and
dial as if the modem where attached to my Mac.  Even the dialing sounds are
digitized and sent to your mac speaker.  Neat stuff.