[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 and system 6.0.x can't cooexist?

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/29/91)

I've updated my Mac IIcx to system 7.0, but there are some programs that
I use once in a while that don't work with it.  Is it possible to keep
6.0.x on my disk and use the system switcher to switch between them
as I need?  I've just tried this, but the system swticher was not able
to find the old system.  Am I doing something wrong or is this just not
possible?

Cheers,

Chris

--------------+----------------------------------------------------------
Chris Mauritz | Cuba's *superior* human rights record is only part of the
--------------|        -Harel Barzilai-

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May28.195450.3238@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>I've updated my Mac IIcx to system 7.0, but there are some programs that
>I use once in a while that don't work with it.  Is it possible to keep
>6.0.x on my disk and use the system switcher to switch between them
>as I need?  I've just tried this, but the system swticher was not able
>to find the old system.  Am I doing something wrong or is this just not
>possible?

The most common system switcher, "Blesser", doesn't recognize
system 7.0 because the type of the system file was changed from
ZSYS to zsys so a different Icon could be used.

Three solutions I'm aware of:

1)	Make two copies of Blesser. Put one in your System 6 Folder,
	and one in your System 7.0 Folder.

	Patch the one in the System 6 Folder to recognize zsys instead
	of ZSYS.

	The one in your System 7.0 Folder remains unchanged.

	Use the one in the System 6 Folder to toggle TO System 7.0.

	Use the one in the System 7.0 Folder to toggle TO the System 6.

2)	Change the type of the System 7.0 system file to ZSYS.

3)	Use System Switcher 1.1. It's very aware of both System 6
	and System 7.0. On Mac SE and newer (those where the Startup
	Device CDEV work) it can select and switch to different disks.

I've not used option 1, or 2. In fact I personally would *not* use option
2. But I've heard both discussed on GEnie and CI$ as working solutions.

Option 3 I use. It works, very well. I picked up an earlier version
on GEnie over a year ago, and mentioned it on Usenet. The author
sent me a version 1.1 after that.

At that time ( before INIT managers were widely available ) I was
using it to switch between INIT-full and INIT-none systems so I could
run Think C 3 on a 512k machine.

Then I got more memory so it went away. Later I got a IIsi.

When I got System 7.0 and heard the problem with Blesser, I pulled
it out of my archive ( I don't throw anything away! ) and it works
just fine.

I have:

	MacIIsi
	5 Meg RAM
	40 Meg Internal
	46 Meg External
	10 Meg Virtual

	System 7.0 on the internal
	System 6.0.7 with Desktop Manager on the external

There is text within the application which says it may be posted and
distributed freely but not sold without the authors permission.

I have it available on request by email.

jim

--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-