[comp.sys.mac.misc] Disk Cache > 700K on IIsi with 9 Meg

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu (05/31/91)

In article <13773@goofy.Apple.COM>, rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

> In article <1991May30.134717.448@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel
> Stanger) writes:
>> I bought 10Mb RAM for the LC (just for fun :-). Installed fine,
>> booted up. WHOA! 3Mb used by the System! What the hey?? Since
>> then I have upgraded to 7.0. It occupies 3Mb of RAM.
>
> You are probably running in 24-bit mode. In that mode, your system cannot
> access more than 8 Meg of memory. Any extra is charged to the system,
> although in fact it's not used. So your system is using 1 Meg, ignoring
> another 2, leaving 7 for your apps.
>
> Open the "Memory" control panel and turn on 32-bit addressing. (If there's
> no control for this, then the LC can't do it - but I think it can.)
> Restart your machine. You should now find that the "missing" two megabytes
> are available for use.

[stuff about 32bit clean apps deleted]

On a related question, I've found that on a IIsi, with 5 Megs, 8 bit color
(built-in), system performance is rather slow. Someone suggested bumping
up the disk cache to > 700K so that the first meg of RAM is not used by the
system or any running applications. Since my System eats up ~ 2 Megs of RAM
as it is, doing this will leave less than 2 Megs of avail. RAM for
applications.

So, if I obtained 4 2Meg SIMMs and insert it into a IIsi (total = 9 Meg),
would it be possible to increase the RAM cache and get improved performance?
I read some time ago that someone tried this but he couldn't increase the
disk cache size to what was necessary. Sorry if this is a FAQ, but could
someone verify this?

Also, how does system performance compare with a IIsi with a Video card?

Thanks,
T.C. Wan
Univ. of Miami, FL