[comp.sys.mac.misc] mminit?

6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee) (05/28/91)

i downloaded something from a local bbs called mminit.  It was a
stuffed init with the claim that it "fixes an error in the roms on
LC's and 2si's..."

later i read something about mminit fixing an error in the memory
manager...

can anybody [dis?]confirm any of the above claims?

what exactly does this thing do, and should i even have it near my
system folder?

running 6.0.7, on a 5/40 machine, i haven't noticed any more crashes
than usual (which is still a lot, w/o a fpu and always trying out new
downloads...)

anyways, was just wondering--please e-mail responses, and i'll post
something later, maybe...

				--Darryl Lee
				  6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/29/91)

6600dayl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Darryl "NOT Ug" Lee) writes:
|i downloaded something from a local bbs called mminit.  It was a
|stuffed init with the claim that it "fixes an error in the roms on
|LC's and 2si's..."
|
|what exactly does this thing do, and should i even have it near my
|system folder?

IF this init is what it says, it still will not fix all the right bugs.

These bugs are fixed in System 7 correctly.

In addition, the bugs it does fix occur only ultra-rarely. You won't
notice any speedup or fewer crashes 99% of the time.

IF it is NOT what it says, well, you don't want to run it anyway.

Party Line is to trash it, and get the right fixes in System 7.

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (05/30/91)

In article <53421@apple.Apple.COM>, bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

> Party Line is to trash it, and get the right fixes in System 7.

Suppose, heaven forbid, someone doesn't want to run System 7? Is Apple going
to "fix" MMInit so poor, misguided System 6 users can have a fix to the fix
for buggy ROM code?

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
"Your silly quote here."      UUCP:       ...!buster!brain!chuck

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/31/91)

I wrote:
|> Party Line is to trash it, and get the right fixes in System 7.

Chuck Shotton replies:
|Suppose, heaven forbid, someone doesn't want to run System 7? Is Apple going
|to "fix" MMInit so poor, misguided System 6 users can have a fix to the fix
|for buggy ROM code?

First, try to understand the problem:

The bugs in question do not cause crashes, but only slow pointer
allocations down under certain obscure circumstances. I think Prograph
was the only program known to cause this problem to manifest. The
average user would never run into this bug, and therefore would not
benefit from the fixes. (It's not like your Mac would run 20% faster.)

MMInit also eats a lot of system heap (over 5k), and god forbid
another init conflicted with it!

When The-Corporate-Entity-Apple weighed the issue, they saw that the
benefits to users were practically non-existant, so MMInit has never
been officially released. Some hacker leaked it to the net a few
months back, and it's probably floating around somewhere.

Similar corrections are in System 7.0, if you should want to run that.
They've been extensively tested there, with a wide variety of
programs. You might also start a movement to get the functionality
incorporated into the forthcoming system 6.0.8.

I tried the patch, and it didn't make any difference, even with my
most memory-flogging apps (Lisp and a multi-dimensional spreadsheet I
support). I therefore removed the patch from 6.0.7, and left it at
that.

Obviously, you should decide for yourself if you want to run it, and
test it out carefully before using it. (Also, make sure it isn't a
virus in disguise!) But the party line is still NOT to use it, because
it almost certainly won't make your mac faster or crash less often,
and because who needs another init eating your memory?

bill coderre
just trying to help you understand