[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where to get MacTCP 1.1?

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.153520.13755@ide.com>, doane@ide.com writes:
> From: doane@ide.com
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
> Subject: Where to get MacTCP 1.1?
> Date: 30 May 91 15:35:20 GMT
> Sender: usenet@ide.com
>
> Could anyone recommmend a means of obtaining version 1.1 of
> MacTCP?  I received version 1.0.1 with the new version of
> MacX, which works fine with EtherTalk, but, I want to try it
> from my LocalTalk net via a GatorBox to a Sun network.  Caymen
> suggested the MacTCP upgrade when I called them for some
> assistance with this.
>
> I would ask my Apple vendor for some help here, but, I know
> he'll just look at me funny, giggle nervously and try to
> change the subject...
>
> ....any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> (Besides which, v1.1 is the only system 7.0 compatable version).
>
> Chris Doane
> uucp:  {sun,uunet}!ide!doane
> internet:  doane@ide.com

       The current version of MacTCP is 1.0.1; there is no version 1.1
available. If someone at Cayman suggested that you should obtain it, they
shouldn't have.....

       Version 1.0.1 should work fine over localtalk, and it is compatible with
system 7.0 as long as you don't run virtual memory. Several recent articles in
comp.sys.mac.comm have explained how to use MacTCP 1.0.1 with 7.0.

              Mike

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/31/91)

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) writes:

>In article <1991May30.153520.13755@ide.com>, doane@ide.com writes:
>> From: doane@ide.com
>> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
>> Subject: Where to get MacTCP 1.1?
>> Date: 30 May 91 15:35:20 GMT
>> Sender: usenet@ide.com
>>
>> Could anyone recommmend a means of obtaining version 1.1 of
>> MacTCP?  I received version 1.0.1 with the new version of
>> MacX, which works fine with EtherTalk, but, I want to try it
>> from my LocalTalk net via a GatorBox to a Sun network.  Caymen
>> suggested the MacTCP upgrade when I called them for some
>> assistance with this.
>>
>> I would ask my Apple vendor for some help here, but, I know
>> he'll just look at me funny, giggle nervously and try to
>> change the subject...
>>
>> ....any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> (Besides which, v1.1 is the only system 7.0 compatable version).
>>
>> Chris Doane
>> uucp:  {sun,uunet}!ide!doane
>> internet:  doane@ide.com

>       The current version of MacTCP is 1.0.1; there is no version 1.1
>available. If someone at Cayman suggested that you should obtain it, they
>shouldn't have.....

>      Version 1.0.1 should work fine over localtalk, and it is compatible with
>system 7.0 as long as you don't run virtual memory. Several recent articles in
>comp.sys.mac.comm have explained how to use MacTCP 1.0.1 with 7.0.

>              Mike

The current version is actually 1.0.2 - MacTCP was upgraded to 1.0.2 to fix some
problems with MacX.  All other users can stay with 1.0.1 until 1.1 is available.

Jason D. Blue
The MITRE Corporation

owen@astro.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (06/01/91)

The current version of MacTCP is actually 1.0.2, not 1.0.1.
Apparently they are nearly identical, but 1.0.2 adds
a fix which speeds up MacX. I've heard that Apple still sends 1.0.1
to folks who are not using MacX, though I hope that's wrong.

-- Russell

Russell Owen
owen@astro.washington.edu