[comp.sys.mac.misc] syquest care question, summary

hillman@uservx.afwl.af.mil (05/29/91)

I posted the following question, replies follow:

From: dana@are.Berkeley.EDU (Dana E. Keil)

I think that if you're not using the cartridge and you want to do
the most conservative in terms of keeping the cartridge good you
really should remove the cartridge and store it in it's plastic
case. I say this because dusk is the main enemy of a Syquest
cartridge; if you leave it out of it's plastic case even though
it's not being used there's just more chance for dusk to get into
it. This is especially true if you leave it in the drive because
the drive's fan will always be on drawing more dust toward the
cartridge. But to answer your real question, I don't think there is
any real difference between the two positions of the lever that you
asked about. If the button has been pushed, the disk is disengaged;
the only thing the lever does is to physically eject the
cartridge.
--
Dana E. Keil           Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                 dana@are.berkeley.edu

From: tjp@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

Well, I am no expert, but I have a Syquest drive, and I would suggest:

C. The cartridge sticking out about 1/4 inch and the lever 3/4 to the right.

This way guarantees that the drive will not boot, that turning power on and off
will do no harm, that the read/write heads are retracted safely, and that the
cartridge sliding door is closed.  It also makes it very easy to remove the
cartridge.  If you do not have even enough space for this, then you definitely
need a bigger work space!

As I said, I am no expert, but this is what I have done in the past.

- tjp (Thomas J. Piccone)

From: Dave Platt <dplatt%ntg.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

> I found that if I leave it off (its the only external on the SCSI)
> I can't boot off the internal.

This can occur if the SyQuest uses internal termination, and if it's not
wired up to be able to accept termination power from the SCSI bus.

If you have any Mac more recent than a Plus (with the exception of a
Portable, I believe), you may be able to get around this problem by [1]
removing the internal termination resistors from the drive's controller
board, and [2] connecting a standard external terminator to the drive's
second SCSI jack.  The external terminator will accept power from the
SCSI bus (the Mac provides it... except for the Plus and Portable).

You might want to borrow an external terminator from someone and make
sure that this works, before you purchase one.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (06/01/91)

People may think that there was a typo in my message about Syquests
summarized here that changed dust -> dusk. But actually I have a
really hard time keeping my cartridges awake after sundown.