[comp.sys.mac.misc] LC kills MacWrite spell checker?

pollak@ac.dal.ca (05/24/91)

Problem:  MacWrite 5.0 spellcheck running on LC eats my documents

I bought Claris MacWrite 5.01 to use when I have only a handful
of memory available (its a nice small program).  The spell check
worked well on my SE/30, but now that I have gotten an LC, when
I select Check Document, it selects all the text and deletes it.

I tried this on my father's LC and it did the same thing.  The
obvious thing is to Upgrade to MacWrite II, but this program is
4 x larger than MacWrite 5.0 and I've heard people say that the
spell checker on it also has problems.

Anybody have any ideas?  Anybody have an Email address for Claris?

Thanks,
Tim Pollak
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS, Canada

danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.142642.401@ac.dal.ca> pollak@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Problem:  MacWrite 5.0 spellcheck running on LC eats my documents
>
>I bought Claris MacWrite 5.01 to use when I have only a handful
>of memory available (its a nice small program).  The spell check
>worked well on my SE/30, but now that I have gotten an LC, when
>I select Check Document, it selects all the text and deletes it.
>
>Anybody have any ideas?  Anybody have an Email address for Claris?

This problem first showed up on the IIci.  There is no fix.  Claris's
answer is to upgrade to MacWrite II.

Personally I can't see why you'd want to use MacWrite 5.01 anyway...
what a GHASTLY program it was....but that's up to you.  Good luck.

TEKNIKUM.MIKAEL-BERGKVIST@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Mikael_b@cmaja.uu.se) (06/02/91)

How about WriteNow instead, smaller and nicer , I think. Also much fdaster
especially at sspellchecking.
Mikael_b