[comp.sys.mac.misc] Views CDEV in System 7.0

jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (06/01/91)

I like to select auto-gridding and medium-size icons for listed views from
the Control Panel.  However, every time my machine restarts, that information
gets sent via Appletalk, thru a Ethernet gateway, onto the Internet, and into
lunar orbit.  (ie, it resets to the defaults.)  How come my prefs aren't
sticking?

Thanks,
	--Jon

--
Jon Howell: College kid leading a "normal" life.           jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM
6417 Sorrel Way                              Delphi: PHEON

tj@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (06/02/91)

	On the subject of views, I'm dissapointed that you can't sent
up different views for different folders.  I'd like to see disk space
for my main disk folder, but not for other folders.  In some folders I
don't care about dates, but I still want a list view, in others I want
the dates, etc.  Oh well, maybe this feature will be added when they
finally get around to adding preemptive multitasking. :-)

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) (06/03/91)

In <10982@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) writes:

>I like to select auto-gridding and medium-size icons for listed views from
>the Control Panel.  However, every time my machine restarts, that information
>gets sent via Appletalk, thru a Ethernet gateway, onto the Internet, and into
>lunar orbit.  (ie, it resets to the defaults.)  How come my prefs aren't
>sticking?

>Thanks,
>	--Jon

The 7.0 Finder saves the views settings in the file

System Folder:Preferences:Finder Preferences.

If I trash the Preferences folder and put a document with name Preferences
into the system folder, the Finder can't access the preferences file and
won't save the settings. So look if the preferences folder exists and if the
finder preferences file is in and not locked. If it's locked, the finder
won't save the settings, too.

Hope this helps,

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany