[comp.sys.mac.misc] SE/30 on side?

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (06/02/91)

In article <1920002@hpcc01.HP.COM>
taroliw@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bill Taroli) writes:

> it on it's side. If it's lower, the heat may collect inside the
> cabinet and cause some trouble. If what you're worried about is the
> orientation of the HD itself, don't worry. I've never heard anything
> that indicates a HD can't be operated at any orientation.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

However, you once you have formatted a drive in one orientation, you
should keep in that orientation. If you decide to put it on its side
for any extended amount of time, you should reformat the drive with the
Se/30 on its side to ensure read/write integrity.

Chuck
c.dubuque@dartmouth.edu

Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (06/03/91)

In article <91150.191403JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> Can one use the SE/30 with internal HD lying flat on its side.

I wouldn't recommend this myself, not because of the drive but because of
cooling problems. Not having an SE/30, I don't know if it has a fan, but
even if it does it sounds like your space is so tight you couldn't get
proper air flow through the Mac.

Cheers