[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mass Unstuffing file utility needed...

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (06/03/91)

Okie... basically I need to locate a little utility which can unstuff an entire
folder worth of stuffit archives... that is, I have a folder full of *.sit
files which I need to be able to expand without doing the old open, expand,
close, open, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone know it such a beast exists?

Thank ye. (respond by email, please)
--
Doug Bitting             | "And we know that in all things God works
PO Box 3043 Yale Station |  for the good of those who love him..."

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun3.043949.24858@cs.yale.edu>, bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu
(Douglas Bitting) writes...
>Okie... basically I need to locate a little utility which can unstuff an entire
>folder worth of stuffit archives... that is, I have a folder full of *.sit

Two possibilities:  StuffIt Deluxe, which permits wild cards in its scripts.
Deluxe is a bit slow, but very flexible.  Downline will automatically unstuff
downloaded 1.5.1 files.  Downline is available from sumex in /info-mac/util.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun3.043949.24858@cs.yale.edu> bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes:
:>
:>Okie... basically I need to locate a little utility which can unstuff an entire
:>folder worth of stuffit archives... that is, I have a folder full of *.sit
:>files which I need to be able to expand without doing the old open, expand,
:>close, open, etc, etc, etc.
:>
:>Anyone know it such a beast exists?
:>
:>Thank ye. (respond by email, please)

Get the utility Downline from sumex-aim.stanford.edu by anonymous ftp.  The
path is /info-mac/comm/downline.hqx.

Cheers,

Alan
  Alan R Fry                     |    You know what I hate?
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    |    Rhetorical questions

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.043949.24858@cs.yale.edu>, bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes...

>Okie... basically I need to locate a little utility which can unstuff an entire
>folder worth of stuffit archives... that is, I have a folder full of *.sit

 The utility is called Stuffit. Select all the archives in the Finder, and open
 them, holding down Shift as they launch. Stuffit will then unstuff them all
 in order. It's in the manual.

 The same trick works with Compact Pro, except instead of Shift, it's Option.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

khoo@husc9.harvard.edu (Oonchye Khoo) (06/04/91)

In article <55306@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>Downline will automatically unstuff
>downloaded 1.5.1 files.  Downline is available from sumex in /info-mac/util.

Let me second the motion for Downline.  It's terrific.  It can automatically,
in the background, process any .hqx, .sit or .pit file that comes your way.
You don't even need to strip of the stuff preceding the real hqx stuff.  Just
designate a folder for Downline and direct anything you want processed into it.
It checks the folder every few seconds if you tell it to.  This means you can
download a .sit.hqx file and within seconds it pops out fully ready, automati-
cally, transparently.  Or just toss in a .sit archive and wait for the transparent unstuffing.  Fabulous freeware by Eric Bloodworth, Morpheus Systems.

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (my real e-mail address; this post is from elsewhere)
--
---
 Ah Love! Could You and I with Fate conspire, To Grasp this sorry scheme